Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Why do I feel so dead?" I asked as I downed my third cheeseburger. "And hungry?"

"It's normal," Nile said as she brought over another tray of food.

"Yes, fries!" I said as I grabbed them. "But I've done stuff like this before and I've never felt this bad."

Nile ate one of my fries. "It's more intense. You don't feel it until after. That's why pacing is important but you did it right. You had to keep yourself off the ground and then Matilda in the air and then the air away from Matilda and a bunch of other stuff. It was a lot."

I drank half of my Gatorade and peeled a banana. "So when do I go again?"

"Three days. Tomorrow is Jeremy vs Albert. Whoever wins that is who you will be facing. Jeremy is telekinetic and Albert has super speed and strength."

"Three days?"

"There's only one round each day in order to allow for regeneration. Anthony and Katherine go next. Katherine can transform into animals. Maxie and Barry are the last of the first rounds."

"What can they do?"

"Barry controls water and Maxie can turn invisible."

"Invisible?"

Nile laughed. "Yeah. She's pretty cool. I invited her to join our training group."

"How come she didn't?"

Nile sighed and opened a bag of chips. "Not sure. She said it was because she didn't want to be a part of a clique, but I'm not sure if that was the whole reason."

"What would be the other reason?"

"She's only a 3, and she would be the youngest if it wasn't for you."

"That doesn't really answer it," I replied between mouthfuls.

"As people with strong powers get more developed, some of them feel something that guides them to become Searchers. No one can stop it, and they stop associating with anyone who isn't a Searcher."

"Is that why Searchers band together?" I asked.

Nile nodded. "I hope I'm wrong, because an invisible Searcher? That would be horrible."

"So a force guides them to kill people?"

"Certain people. That's probably why you were targeted. Anthony probably sensed you were an elemental without realizing what you actually were."

After a silence filled with food, I said, "Speaking of youngest, I've noticed that there's no real age for each grade. What's up with that?"

"People get invited when there powers become active. It happens at different points in people's lives. So it happens. We've had kids under the age of six and adults over 30."

"Thirty? Is that normal?"

"Not really. Most of the time if someone is that old, they won't develop their powers correctly or they deal with it. Almost every time when their powers become active they think they're going crazy and don't tell anyone about it."

"Ok. So anyway, how would I fight either person?"

"You'll get to watch tomorrow and then there's two days to figure it out. Just relax and eat."

I did. Bags of chips, plates of fruits and vegetables, bacon, and that was all in addition to what I already ate, which was a lot. Once I was finished eating, which was an hour later, I ask Nile, "Can I go see Emma and Dylan?"