Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Part of me didn't think they were serious, and part of me wanted to keep Alyssa in a condition that would require them to stay. Least to say, I was scared when I woke up. We had only been here for three months. Was it really enough to take down someone the founders couldn't take down? And what about Dylan?

I was the last to wake up, and when I got up I noticed everyone was packed, other than me an Alyssa.

"I guess this is it," I said.

Erin nodded. "Sorry girlie. Last chance to come with us."

I shook my head. "I can't. Any last advice?"

"If this person really has power over darkness, fight back with light from fire, just like you did with me," Griffin said but it was directed to Alyssa.

"Good luck," Nile said. They all grabbed their bags and walked out.

Tessa shrugged. "If you've seen the things I have, you would understand."

I sighed as the door closed. I looked over at Alyssa, and she looked scared. "Can we really do this?"

I wasn't sure how to respond to that. Honestly, we had no chance without our mentors, but I wasn't going to tell her that.

"I think so. We should find Dylan," I suggested. "He's our only help."

She nodded in agreement and we left the room. The second we stepped outside, I knew something was off. Everything looked the same, but there was a layer of coolness that was hard to miss.

"Do you feel that?" Alyssa asked.

"It doesn't feel right at all."

"We have to find Dylan and get back inside."

"No arguments here."

We walked down the hallway. I watched our back as Alyssa watched the front. It seemed oddly like one of those haunted hotel movies. And we were the stupid main characters who were going to walk right into a trap.

"I don't like this," I said.

"Neither do I, but do you have any other ideas on how to find Dylan?" Alyssa replied.

"So we're just going to walk through the hallways until we just happen to run into him?"

"Don't be stupid. We're going to his dorm."

We stopped as Alyssa looked around the corner. Once she was sure it was clear, we continued to the stairs. We walked up the stairs, and once I again I was watching our back and that now included all of the staircase below us.

Not going to lie, I was terrified, but I didn't even know what I was afraid of. Everything just seemed off.

Suddenly, there was a crash and someone fell from above and landed on Alyssa. She screamed and pushed the person off. I quickly realized what was happening.

"He's dead," I said to Alyssa. She stood up and we heard running footsteps above us. They were getting louder. "Run!" I yelled.

We turned and ran back down the stairs. I looked behind me at Alyssa, and I was shocked to find the staircase behind her on fire.

"Just keep going!" she said. I nodded, and my foot slipped as I hit the next step. I fell down and rolled to the bottom of the flight and hit my back on the door.

I jumped to my feet and opened the door. Alyssa ran past me and I followed her, pulling the door shut as I made it through. We rushed down the hallways and I discovered as I looked around that I had no clue where we were.

"Alyssa, where are we?" I asked.

"Just keep going!" she shouted back. I looked behind us, and I didn't see anyone down the long, narrow hallway.

"I think we're ok," I said as I slowed down.

Alyssa stopped and turned around. "Now what?"

"I think we should just go back to the training room. We know the protections can keep us safe, and we need to figure out a plan to stop the dragon darkness man."

"How? Do you have any clue what he is or how to stop him?"

"No, and neither do you!" I replied.

"That's why we need Dylan. His sister went here, so he probably knows more than either of us."

"But we can't get to him without being attacked."

I heard a door open, and we both turned to look. There was a crowd of people, girls and boys, at the end of the hallway, and they all looked mad.

"Searchers," Alyssa said. She began running, and I followed. We turned the corner and saw another crowd of searchers at the other end. I pulled at the doors on either side, and finally one opened. The two of us went inside and slammed it shut. We pushed boxes in front of the door until we were sure they wouldn't be able to force through.

I looked around. The entire room was filled with boxes, except for one side of it which had what looked like an ice skating arena. I got closer and found out that it wasn't ice, but a sport court tile.

"What is this room?" I said.

Alyssa opened one of the boxes. Inside were tons of little bath bombs, or so I thought.

"It's the training room for powderers," Alyssa said.

"What?" I asked.

"It's rumored that there are special training rooms for each type of power, but that would mean there would have to be hundreds of rooms like these, all equipped with specialized materials."

"Every power?" I asked.

"I don't think that would be possible, but maybe for the more common ones. It makes sense. Everyone says they don't train with the other people, and not everyone can have their own private gym and training group."

"That still doesn't change the fact that there are searchers outside right now trying to kill us," I stated.

"But what if they're all in this hallway? If we can get through the walls, we can get into the healer or elemental rooms."

I don't know what Alyssa was thinking, but I knew it was a bad idea. Not a bad idea as in stupid and we would get killed, but bad idea as in pointless.

"We are the two rarest powers. There is not going to be a room for us, and even if there is, what good would it do?"

"What do you mean? If we get in, we'll have unlimited supplies to help us!" Alyssa was dead set on her idea, and I seriously did not see the point.

"Why don't we just go out there and fry all of the searchers, and if any of them can still fight after that, I'll take over?"

Alyssa stopped looking around the room. "Oh. Right." I guess she seriously didn't think of that.

We approached the door, and the searchers were pounding pretty hard on the other side trying to knock it in.

I stood behind Alyssa again. "Whenever you're ready," I told her. She held out her hand, and our escape began.

~~~

So sorry for the lack of updates!  I'm really trying to, but life keeps getting in the way of writing.  I hope you liked this update!  Not much happened, but now Alyssa and Emma are officially on their own.  Will they find Dylan?  Will they escape from the searchers?  What will happen next?  I'll try to update soon!

Also, I have a new book called Make Me.  It's about a teenage superhero.  Please go check it out!