IX. Changes

"What exactly do you mean by that, Section Commander?" Jean was scratching his temple in confusion at Hange's order.

"You love Ackerman, am I wrong?"

The color of Jean's face could suddenly be compared to the color of the tomato he was currently slicing, "W-what?! No! I just,... like her,..."

The thoughtful scientist knew that he was lying

The thoughtful scientist knew that he was lying. "That's close enough. Anyway, I do trust that you could watch over her at all times, yes?"

"That's too much, Section Commander, I - "

"Come on, just say it already, Kirschtein!" Hange was losing her patience and was aware that she was harassing the boy for a reason he could never find out. "Will you do it, or will you not?"

"Okay! Okay! Sheesh,..." Jean sliced the juicy tomato in half and threw it on a bowl. He was getting quite used to kitchen duty by now. "I'll watch over her."

"At all times."

"At all times, yes."

"And tell you as soon as possible if something weird happens."

"Yes, that's it." Hange patted the boy's shoulder and smiled at him. "I know I could count on you."

"Thanks." Jean grabbed another tomato from the sack to assault with. "May I ask why you didn't pick Eren for the job?"

Because he easily gets swayed by his own emotions, he could possibly endanger Mikasa's life even further should the same thing occur to her, is what Hange wanted to say. But, she couldn't. "If I have to choose between you two in terms of being,... ah,... rational,... then I go with you, outright. You know how to properly asses different situations and make reasonable decisions, Kirschtein. At least, that's what I think."

Jean smiled. "You are actually one of the two people who said that to me."

"Really? Who is the other one?"

"Is? More like was,..."

Jean suddenly went silent as he continued chopping tomatoes. Hange noticed this and immediately realized what he was trying to say. She patted the boy on the shoulder once more and turned to leave. "I'm counting on you, Kirschtein."

******

A direct order from Commander Erwin Smith himself was issued that morning over lunch at the mess hall, forbidding ANY Cadet / Cadette ranks to go outside the Headquarters without written permission from the Chief, himself. It was implemented so that the Scouts could properly train for the upcoming Expedition, which was in roughly four weeks. The only people who are allowed to go out are the Scouting Legion helpers ( such as the cooks ) and the Squad Leaders, themselves. They would only be allowed to go out the day before the Expedition, to go to their families and such. Plus, no other person, Scout or officer alike, is allowed out of the premises after the hour of eight in the evening.