III. Humiliation

The awful weather last night dampened the moods of almost everyone who was present in the training grounds the next morning

But, what made their moods more awful was the sight of the new recruit at the end of their perfect line formation.

Mikasa, the top student of the 104th Trainee Squad, who was the closest to the rookie, couldn't resist asking a question.

"What happened to you, Ms.,... ah?"

"(L/N)." (F/N) answered softly, afraid to disrupt the silence. "But, you can call me (F/N)."

"(F/N)." repeated Mikasa. She slightly turned towards the girl on her left side to see the bruise on her face. "If you don't mind,..."

(F/N) felt that Mikasa was embarrassed to ask the question, so she decided to provide her with a believable one. "I, ah, fell down the stairs last night,..."

"Oh."

Awkward silence. (F/N) hoped that Mikasa bought the lie, for the only ones who knew the whole story were Hange, her squad, and him.

"You should be more careful next time, (F/N)."

"Okay." she bought it.

"Call me Mikasa."

"Okay, Mikasa." (F/N) uttered. "Thanks for the concern."

Hange was very distraught at the moment. She was standing at the front of the line, her eyes focused on the platform a few feet in front of her. But, her mind was elsewhere. As much as she wanted to, she just couldn't order (F/N) to stay hidden for the rest of the day. Everyone will get suspicious, and will start thinking that she was picking favorites. And he will most likely get angry again if (F/N) didn't show up for the mandatory combat training. If (F/N) stayed in the dorm, there's a hundred percent possibility that he'll make her punishment even harder. Staying for five more hours in training is cruelty enough, but she'll also have to clean the stables after that. No food, no rest, and she will not stop until he says so!

Hange took out her handkerchief from her pocket and wiped her sweaty forehead with it. She just couldn't stand seeing the girl in this situation, especially after what happened last night. What's more, she doesn't seem to be the least angry with the man who hurt her!

She sighed.

"Squad Leader, are you okay?" whispered Moblit beside her.

"Yes, I'm fine. Don't mind me." Hange said in a monotonous voice, which made Moblit even more worried.

A few moments later, three Squad Leaders, all elite veterans of the Scouting Legion, went up the platform.

"Salute!" commanded Hange with a powerful voice. All the Scouts simultaneously raised their right fist and placed it over their left chest in a gesture of respect for the three elites. One of them was Captain Levi, himself. Humanity's Strongest.