Chapter 8

I am sorry, Princess, but the king has demanded your audience ." The maid came rushing into Maia's room.

"Please let him know that I am on the way." Maia said with a vacant expression on her face

The maid nodded and left the room with the innocent satisfaction of not having offended the princess.

It was only yesterday that Maias uncle and brothers had left Nimartha. It was hard upon her. As expected she couldn't bear it and as soon as they were gone, even she rode out into the jungle without even notifying anyone , leaving the whole castle in a state of utter chaos and fear.

But everything was fine soon. She had got in late at night with red and baggy eyes . No one tried to question her but she could see in everyone's eyes the same helplessness and suffering that she had. And early morning her father had demanded her presence.

Maia got out of the bed and dressed up in a haste. On the way she met all those maids, palace guards, cooks and helpers of the palace... All those helpful and loyal men and women of Nimartha who had been with her for years. And today when they met her, there eyes showed a certain pain that only a loving heart could see. Still Maia gently smiled at everyone and this as she wanted gave them a pure warmth and most importantly real courage.

As she passed through the long corridors of the palace, her heart beat much more faster.she looked into the portraits of her ancestors and beamed with pride. She was used to seeing them everyday. But today they had a different beauty , a different odour. She smiled up at those brave and bold Kings and Queens who had made Nimartha what it was today. As she was nearing her father's chamber her eyes fell on the painting of her family... The four of them with aunt , uncle and brothers.... How good they looked together..... She smiled and said to herself - Years from now, maybe another princess would walk through this corridors and look up at our painting with pride.
Long Live Nimartha ! "

*****

I know it's short guys. So sorry .. I hve planned things well. So the next few chapters will be better

Love
Iris