TA 39

The news that Casey was pregnant caught me off guard. Sure Isandro had told me I had a child with someone who wasn't the chosen one, but I didn't believe that to be true. I didn't least of all expect Casey to be pregnant. It was supposed to be biologically impossible for him to be pregnant.

Even though I was shocked at the news, I shoved my shock to the back of my mind and focused on making sure Casey was okay. My feelings and reactions didn't matter. Casey was priority to me. Not only had I put him in that situation, I'd put him in danger too. I felt guilty, rightly so. I was also concerned about him.

Sleeping with him hadn't been a mistake. I knew I felt something for him the day we kissed in his kitchen. Our feelings had slowly brewed, disguised by our friendship till they bubbled to the surface. When they did, it was the most beautiful thing. Their beauty was marred by the things that followed, but hopefully they could reclaim that beauty back.

As I looked at him from across the living room, I knew I wanted that beauty back. I wanted to see him smile again, kiss him, make love to him. I wanted to make him happy.

I hadn't gotten to talk to him about that yet. There was no need to overwhelm him. Earlier he'd cried in my arms, accepting that he was pregnant. We'd stood like that for a while, until Andrew called us for a meeting.

His fellow Lighteners were back from their trip – grocery shopping. There was Shalien, a woman in her fifties with long grey hair and Derek, a young man in his twenties. Shalien and Derek were chosen by Cairo in dreams and the Darkener secrets revealed to them. They unlike Andrew did not produce the chosen one, though it was theorized that Derek's future daughter might be the chosen one.

Mom and Andrew seemed to have made up.

"...I think Cass's pregnancy is exactly what we need. However, that means he and the baby are in danger. Isandro already knows his target. The safest place you could be is here. If you go back home...going home is a bad idea. Your parents and brother will be safe. The Darkeners will not dare harm them, that would destroy the peace treaty", Andrew was saying.

"We will protect you with our lives", Derek added.

"What about Riley?" Shalien asked looking straight at me.

"What about me?"

"You are part Darkener, part Lightener. That means those aspects will be fighting against each other. If you lose control..."

I interrupted harshly. "You think I'd hurt Casey?!"

"It's possible", Shalien stood her ground.

She hadn't taken kindly to me since she met me. When Andrew explained to them what had happened at Lands of Azuria and my choice, she was skeptical. I could tell she believed I was only pretending so I could get close to Casey and kill him once their backs were turned.

"If I wanted to kill Casey, I wouldn't wait for an opportunity. I am full Awakener, which means full powers. I'd take you out right now if I wanted to. I..." I said, enunciating every word.

"Riley", Andrew warned and turned to Shalien. "Look Shalien, Riley rejects the Darkener ways. What do you think will happen if we reject him too?"

Shalien stayed quiet.

"I guess we are all in favor of everyone staying here. Another pressing issue is: Cass is male, meaning we have absolutely no idea how the whole pregnancy is supposed to be like", Andrew said.

"Cairo gave clues, Cairo will probably provide", Derek said. He was one hell of a laid-back guy. It was a wonder he survived with the old Shalien and my by-the-book grandfather.