TA 12

Chapter 8

A month later

I put down my diary as I heard a knock at the front door. I was done anyway. I put it in my closet drawer and closed it. It had been a month since Riley was admitted to hospital. Sadly, he was still in a coma. I thought of him every day. I visited him every chance I got. He just lay there looking all gorgeous and said nothing to me. It was frustrating. Life was not fun without him. Luckily, Mandy was there. Mandy and I had gotten close after Riley's accident. She was easy to talk to and even though she did not know Riley well, she sympathized with me. We were not the best of friends yet, but we were getting there.

I took my phone and headed to the door. I knew it was Mandy. She and I were going to the hospital. She occasionally went with me. She was fond of Riley, I could tell.

I opened the door and found her beaming.

"Okay, what has got you smiling like a fool?" I asked.

She twirled her hair around her finger. "Guess who asked me out?"

I pretended to be thinking. "Logan?"

Mandy chuckled as we got to her car.

"No silly. Matt", she said as she started the car.

"I'm surprised it took him a month", I said.

We drove out onto the road.

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing", I said.

"Cass!" Mandy warned.

"Well it's just that Matt is a player, you know. He dates anyone who's in fashion", I said.

I sounded like the jealous friend and I hated it. Mandy didn't know Matt and I did. He was a player and he would use her. I had to protect a friend.

"I'm in fashion?" she asked, sounding shocked.

"No! Well, yeah, you are well...sort of new", I said.

Mandy chuckled. "Don't worry about me, Matt doesn't faze me. I have my sights on someone else", she said thoughtfully.

"Do tell", I said cheerfully.

"No, you'll find out, if he ever opens his eyes and see what's in front of him", she said skeptically.

"Come on Mandy", I said.

"No Cass", she said.

When the car was parked, we got out. We were a few minutes early, visiting hours would start in 10 minutes. We decided to hang at the cafeteria. Mandy bought a salad. I just could not eat anything with all the excitement building up inside of me. I was always excited to see Riley, and I always left the hospital frustrated. I was excited to tell him about what happened at school, with Calvin and my dad and so on, but he never replied.

"Let's go", Mandy's voice entered my occupied mind.

We went through the normal procedure and were allowed in Riley's room.

Mandy and I walked into the room silently. He was in the same position I had seen him in two days ago. I wondered if they ever moved him. The machines he was hooked onto were making peaceful beeping sounds. I had no idea what they were but Mandy knew very well.

"He has spent two days without a visitor", I whispered to Mandy.

Mandy narrowed her eyes, "How do you know?"

"His hair...I ran my hand through it that day we came. It looks exactly as I left it", I said.

Mandy chuckled," Not everyone runs their hands through his hair like you do. They probably do not notice his hair".