The Beginning

The school bell rang as Anna fastened the bike lock to her mountain bike. Teenagers ran in every direction to their home classes. Anna brushed a bang out of her face, slung her book bag over her shoulder, and jogged to her weights class, hoping her strict teacher would understand why she was late. Unfortunately, she couldn’t tell her teacher the truth, that would involve telling her that she was Bruce Wayne’s daughter.

You see, Anna’s not exactly proud of being rich, in fact she loathes it. She was born when both her parents were very young, but Bruce wouldn’t let her mom give her up for adoption, she was going to stay a Wayne. But neither of them seemed to care about her much, or at least her mom used to care until she became a district attorney and “couldn’t afford to waste her time with Anna”. Those exact words had come from her mom’s, who happened to be Rachel Dawson, mouth on Anna’s 12th birthday, she was now 15. Then there was Bruce, who never was around, Anna didn’t even think of him as her dad. The last time she had seen him was when he’d come back for the trial.

Alfred was her family, and that’s exactly how she felt. When she was younger Alfred used to home school her, but she wanted to have friends, and living so far from town it was very unlikely for her to meet anyone her age. It was after her mom had stopped seeing her that she’d talked Alfred into putting her into public school under a false name. It was awesome getting to be a normal kid, having to clean up after yourself and talking to normal people. She didn’t want to ruin that by revealing she was the daughter of a billionaire.

As Anna ran through the door to the gym her bag caught on the handle of the door, causing her books to fall out. Lovely, she thought to herself. She scooped up her books, then went into the locker room, hoping Mrs. R hadn’t taken roll yet.

“Hey Anna,” it was Anna’s closest friend in the world, Dillon, even though she’d only known her for a month. She was 5’11’’ with curly blonde hair, and had the brightest smile, Anna would swear that if you looked right at Dillon’s teeth when she smiled you’d go blind, “you’re luck, we’ve got a substitute teacher today, she’s still trying to find the roll, but I think that Areol got hold of it.” Anna rolled her eyes and laughed. Areol was Dillon’s other close friend who couldn’t help but cause mischief on occasion, in a sense a kleptomaniac. Anna liked Areol, but Dillon was really her only friend at this school.

“Where is Areol anyway,” Anna asked after opening her locker, Areol’s locker was right next to Anna’s but it wasn’t even open yet. Anna stripped out of her clothes and put on her gym clothes. There was only one downside to having gym class first thing in the morning, your hair never looks as good as it does when you leave your house, unless you’re a prep that brings a ton of hair spray to school.

“Hmm, not sure, anyway, why are you late, I was waiting for you by the benches,” Dillon asked.

“I, umm, I had bike problems this morning,” Anna lied; she hadn’t even told her best friends about her parents. She didn’t want to tell her that the reason she was late was because her dad had flown in with Alfred on their private jet that morning.

Dillon gave Anna a knowing look, “You’re lying, you over slept didn’t you?” Anna just nodded her head in agreement, hoping her friend didn’t notice she was once again lying to her.

Fortunately Dillon just laughed at her and finished tying her tennis shoes. Just then their
substitute teacher came out from the teacher’s office, just as Anna finished changing.

“Okay girls, today you’re going to run a mile around the football field, then we’re going to come back in here and lift some weights,” she informed the students, a lot of them moaning at the idea of all that work. As the two friends walked up to the stadium, Areol finally caught up to them.