Epilogue.

• Αφιερωμένο στον/ην vovnix

The sound of drills echoed around the trees as I watched the boys building the house that I, Kade and our baby would live in. Jenna had given us a chunk of land next to the lake, knowing that I wouldn’t want to stay in the pack house with everyone else. It took six months of planning to finally start the build and now, a year and a half later, it was scheduled to be finished mid-October with the help of Griff, Pierre, Jackson, Gunner, Hunter, Davy, Ivan, both my dad’s, Klaus, the twins and many of the pack members.

Six months after I left the military war broke out between the supernatural races and mankind; I had another battle to fight. It began when the existence of werewolves was brought to light by a small coven of hunters. The humans decided that they wanted to enforce a registry that would consist of microchips and a record of the deaths, births and locations of every werewolf on the planet. After many council meetings and negotiations, Jenna and the council, consisting of the royal family, pack alphas and elders, declared war on the human race; we were not animals to be tagged, caged and annihilated, because that’s what would have happened, we’re people too.

The war lasted for three years before the humans surrendered after being completely overwhelmed as they had vastly underestimated the number of supernaturals in the world. Decades before the war Jenna had gone to great lengths to eradicate hunters, though small groups still survived and when the war broke out, they spread word of how to kill supernaturals; specifically vampires and werewolves, the two main contenders in the war. The other were- species and many of the vampires became involved when they realised that if the wolves went down, everyone else would soon follow.

We won the war but there were many casualties on both sides; now many humans live in fear and hunters are far greater in number than they were a century ago. The creatures of the night had finally come to light and there will come a day when they try to rise up again but today is not that day.

My entire team had resigned from the military when the war began and joined us due to their loyalty and friendship to me. Both Griffin and Jackson requested for Jenna to turn them and both survived the transformation. Regardless of whether they were wolf or human, Jenna welcomed them into he pack with open arms and to this day they all live here a part of the pack.

On a raid of a hunting compound nearby, Jackson had found his mate in one of the many captives they had in cells below the compound. After a year of friendship, she had taken the next step with him and now, three years later, they were happily mated with two children.

Griffin also found love and his mate in a human woman who’d been mated once before, though her first mate had died many years ago. Just like Jackson, Griff now had two boys and a third child on the way.

After the war ended we began building a steady relationship, both of us taking time to heal from our pasts and two years later we were married.  I’d fallen pregnant on our wedding night, after we got married in a ceremony by the lake with all our friends and family there. We’d honeymooned on white beach in the Philippines for a month and it had been amazing.

 “What are you doing?” I felt arms wrap around me and I was pulled against a hard chest, his warm breath hitting my neck.

A smile slid onto my face as I turned around to look up into the eyes of my mate and husband. “I wanted to see how things were going.” After he realised that I wouldn’t leave him again, he began to slowly open up to me; though he still didn’t talk to other people much, I knew that he tried. Kade never did regain the memories of who he was or where he came from, but that didn’t matter; we were building memories together, happy memories.

He raised an eyebrow and shook his head. “They were harassing you.” By ‘they’ he meant the older pack members, specifically the women. Though they only looked in their late thirties, they were much, much older and loved children and pregnant women. Because of my position as beta female, they fawned over me constantly.

I pursed my lips and nodded. “They were shoving disgusting concoctions down my throat to ‘help’ the baby.” By the look on his face I knew that he wanted to have a word with them; which really meant he’d give them menacing stares until they left me alone, permanently. Most of the pack were scared of Kade because they’d seen him single handily take down thirty hunters when they tried to attack me. It had been right after he’d sensed I was pregnant and since I couldn’t shift, hadn’t had any weapons on me at the time and was pregnant, I was pretty defenceless against thirty armed men and women. Kade had gone mad and killed them all before anyone could step in. Since then he’d taken my place in training since I’d stopped training the pack enforcers for Jenna when I fell pregnant; I wasn’t taking any risks this time.

I shook my head and leant up to give him a kiss. “Leave them alone; they’re just trying to be helpful.”

He snorted, leaning down for me to place a kiss on his cheek, knowing that others were around. I wasn’t a big fan of public displays of affection but I really did love him.

“Kade come help us build your house instead of getting frisky with Eve; she’s already pregnant so give it a rest!” Jackson yelled down at us.

I felt Kade’s chest rumble as he growled, pushing his nose into the hollow of my neck. I laughed and ran my fingers through his black locks. “It’s ok; I’m feeling tired anyway, I’ll go lie down.” The baby moved around a lot when I tried to sleep and sometimes I still had the occasional nightmare so I didn’t always sleep very well at night- though it was a hell of a lot better than it had been years ago.

He nodded and squeezed my body to his in a quick hug before walking over to where Jackson was. I laughed as Jack said something and Kade simply smacked him over the head. I watched as my friends and my family helped build the home I would raise my children in and I really felt content with my life.

After years of searching, I’d finally found where I belonged- with my family, with my pack, with Kade. Even through all the trials I‘d faced they stood by my side and in the end my experiences had shaped me into the woman I was today; I was a better person because of it, I was resilient.

Thank you for reading this book- please vote, comment and spread the word! Keep an eye out for the next book in the mate series!