Chapter Five.

I glared at Jenna through the mirror as she zipped up the back of my… her dress. It was a nude tone and hugged every curve of my body, a metallic zipper running up the back, over the curve of my butt to the hem.

When she saw my glare she gave me a smug grin and bent down to rest high, red, devil- may-care heels. “Don’t you dare give me that look; this dinner tonight is for you.”

I rolled my eyes but kept silent, stepping into the heels. I practised walking around the room with them at Jenna’s pushing and was glad that I had impeccable balance and coordination. She’d also done my makeup and hair which fell in loose waves just past my shoulders. My makeup was natural but helped cover the few small scars on my face. I also wore dangling earrings and a chunky gold ring. “I will hold you responsible for anything that happens tonight.” I warned her.

I could feel that tonight was not going to be easy and honestly I would’ve been happy having dinner in my room with my dad’s. It wasn’t meant to be obviously as Jenna had come into the room with the force of a hurricane and tossed Hansel and Ace out before making me her doll; choosing my clothes and doing my hair and makeup. I guess I was glad that she’d taken control and helped me out as I’d never had much of an interest in fashion or makeup and I would’ve happily gone to dinner in my jeans. I however, refused to take of my dog tags no matter how hard Jenna argued with me; you couldn’t see them though, but the weight was comforting.

“Noted; let’s go.”

I walked over to my back and bent down, pulling out of one my smaller knives and strapping it to my inner thigh with its sheath so that it wouldn’t be seen. Ever since the night the base had been under attack I had vowed never to be unarmed; though my fists and knowledge of the martial arts were more than enough, I liked the feel of a weapon, be it a gun or a knife.

Jenna gave me an offended look; probably because I didn’t trust the pack, but I ignored her and walked to the door. My hips swayed with each step I took, descending down the staircase to the living room where a few pack members loitered. Even without supernatural hearing I knew that most of the pack was packed into the dining room as I could hear the sound of their loud chatter.

The males lounging around grinned at me and gave wolf whistles. I ignored them and walked with Jenna into the dining room. We walked towards the slightly bigger table at the front of the room where the higher ranking pack members sat. Jenna took her place at the head of the table with Klaus to her right and as her guest of honour; I was seated on her left.

The chatter continued as copious amounts of food were bought out, serving Jenna and her table first. I piled my plate high with meat and vegetables as the delicious scent of the food enticed me. I could feel the curious glances from many of the pack members as I ate, but to be honest I didn’t care. In a room full of hundreds of werewolves, the food didn’t last long and soon everyone was done. 

Jenna stood and silence descended over the room as they alternated between looking from her to me. She gestured me to stand and the screech of the wooden chair was the only sound that filled the room. I stood tall, squaring my shoulders and surveying the pack. There were many faces I recognised; they however, did not seem to recognise me.

“You may be wondering by I have welcomed a human into our mists.” Jenna began. No one spoke but many nodded. “However, many of you already know this woman; think back to seven years ago when Beta Hansel and Delta Ace’s daughter walked out after mistreatment from this very pack. I never thought that she would return, thankfully however, I was wrong.” She growled, her fists tightening. There were murmurs as they began to piece together what she was saying and all gazes were focused on me. “May I re-introduce you all too Eve Holt.”