26

It was raining again. Zak had the wipers going rapidly across the windshield as we drove out to the city. I was a little nervous about doing this, but I also knew that it needed to be done. Someone had to deal with Alik, and that someone was going to be me. As Zak pulled to the area where we had agreed on starting, he cut the engine and allowed the rain to pound down upon the car. Everyone was silent in the vehicle, watching the rain stream down the windshield.

The gray clouds that hung low made it sort of foggy outside as the rain pelted the streets of the city. Next to me Ahmeil had her arms crossed, her eye closed as she waited for Tristan to give the order to leave. Jace pulled back the slide of his gun, the familiar click taking my attention for a moment as he released it to load the weapon. He glanced back at me and then to Ahmeil. I knew he wasn't happy with this at all. I gave him a smile, trying to reassure him.

"All right, I will give you about five minutes, Ahmeil will follow you after that," Tristan said from the other side of the back seat.

I nodded and opened the door. The sound of the rain grew louder as I hopped out of the car. My feet splashed into a slightly deep puddle as I leapt from the tall hummer. Slamming the door shut, I waved at them and quickly took off into the rain soaked city. Reaching back, I pulled up the hood of the black sweater that I wore. My jeans were completely soaked through soon enough as I ran. Each breath I took puffed out in white smoke before my face as I moved down the street.

Five minutes later and I slowed down. I was pretty far in Alik's territory. Some of the streets I was beginning to recognize from a while back. I hadn't gone out of the hotel much when I was with him, but there were a few times, and I did remember a few places. For example, the record store that was across from me. Not that anyone had anything like that anymore, but it must have been a big thing at one time to be a store I supposed. It was such an odd place that it was really hard to forget really.

Taking a few deep breathes; I settled my racing heart and glanced around. I had yet to see any of Alik's men which was a little odd seeing as I'd just slipped into his territory. Dumbass is really cocky. Should have more patrols. I frowned as I looked around. It was a pretty open area, the large main street cutting me off between the store and where I stood. I was pretty sure that if I went right and traveled at least fifteen minutes or so, I would find the place where the gang had last fought. Where I had first met Tristan.

I felt a grin on my lips. Boy, that was some meeting, wasn't it? With a laugh and a sigh afterward, I shook my head and concentrated on what I was going to do. Alik was sure to know it was me. Who else would be stupid enough to do what I was going to? I hadn't told Tristan how exactly I was going to drag out Alik, but I supposed it didn't really matter so long as he came running.

"Let's get started..." I muttered to myself and spread my feet, planting myself firmly on the tar, feeling the rain pelt my body.

My hands stayed at my sides and I closed my eyes, concentrating hard. Excalibur fueled my blood and I felt every pierce of rain against me. It was like time had slowed down for me. As I opened my gaze, the gray haze did little to hinder my sight. I could see through it now. I watched, fascinated by the rain as I could see every drop fall. My eyes followed the thick drops of water as they shimmered and twisted around in large circles. They hit the ground, splattering out in a small spray of water one after another like an exploding firework.

Taking a breath, I forced myself to pull away from watching the rain. It was so easy to get distracted when Excalibur was being used. Turning my focus, I felt my body's natural electrical charge and increased it, much like I had when I was fighting Alik back in the storage room. The crackle of electricity flooded my body as the white sparks of light danced. I wanted to test something first, so I directed my gaze to a puddle of water and stretched out a hand.