Chapter Twenty-Two

(This chapter gets a little hot and steamy so please read with caution!-Leina ♥)

Nina POV

The sexual tension that took over my body from my meeting with Zev was almost as bad as being in heat. It wasn't the physical pain that bothered me, it was the need I had to be with Jaxon. This aching between my legs and in the pit of my stomach.

Goddess I need a cold shower. After Zev stormed out of the room I stood in the same spot confused by what happened. His refusal to tell me what was being hidden from me infuriated me. There was definitely something going on, and it was clear that was connected to me by both Jaxon and Zev's reaction.

We'll have to snoop around and figure it out ourselves. They won't say anything else about it but I have this strong feeling it's something big, Lyra piped in.

Good idea. The sooner we figure out what is going on the sooner we can deal with it. We also need to talk to Jaxon and Jason about how to proceed with the mission. Laura knows our plan and that is only putting Keiva in more danger.

Lyra agreed with me. I jumped into the icy cold shower and relaxed against the cold stream of water that ran down my skin. I had no idea why cold showers relieved sexual tension but I didn't care. When I felt fine, I got out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my body. For the first time in awhile I decided to look at my reflection in the bathroom mirror. The last time I saw myself I looked dead, since then I've avoided mirrors. Would I still look like a walking corpse? Would I look hollow and lifeless? I was too scared to find out the answer but now after about a week I felt ready.

Slowly I lifted my head to look in the mirror that was placed above the sink. I stared at myself, my honey eyes were filled with life, my skin had the same sun-kissed color it did before all this happened. What really caught my attention was the giant crescent shaped moon that framed Jaxon's canine teeth mark at the connection point between my shoulder and my neck. My fingers lightly traced over his mark, it was huge. I've seen some females whose mate's mark were smaller, their canine teeth not as threatening as others, they were mostly lower class wolves. Jaxon's mark clearly displayed power and high status.

A light sigh escaped me as I thought about Jaxon. He really was something else. I never thought it would be this hard to ignore the mate bond, and I never would've thought I'd actually develop feelings for my mate either. What a turn of events it has been.

I let my eyes linger on his mark a little longer admiring the feelings it brought out inside me. After a few minutes I finally turned around and walked out of the bathroom. When I entered the bedroom I was a little surprised to see Jaxon. I stopped halfway out the bathroom door. Jaxon's eyes held mine for the first time all day, and again I was melting from those intense green orbs.

"I thought you had things to do?" I said and looked at my bag that was laying next to his feet on the floor. I had to keep my anger at bay. He couldn't suspect anything, maybe if he thought I'd given up trying to figure out what he was doing behind my back, then sneaking around and figuring it out myself would be easier.

"I did, and still do." His eyes were roaming over my towel covered body. I noticed how they darkened and a small shiver ran itself down my back. I walked over to my bag on the ground and bent down slowly to retrieve it.

When I had the bag in my hand I took a couple steps then dropped it on the floor once more. "What are you doing back here then if you have things you need to take care of?" I said casually as I dropped the towel that covered me.

From behind me I heard Jaxon groan, and a sly smirk came across my face. "I wanted to see my mate." He growled in a husky voice. I bent down slowly to pull out a lacy bra and matching thong then slipped them on.