Chapter Ten

(I absolutely dislike the beginning of this chapter, and I fully intend on reworking it sometime in the near future.) 

**Edited 11/21/2016

Nina's POV

Something startled me awake, I jolted out of my bed and was on my feet in mere seconds. My eyes scanned around my room, ready to defend myself from whatever came my way. Wait a second... my bed... my room... I stood up straight. How did I get back into my territory? Or the better question to be asking myself was when did I get back.

Could it have all been a dream? I don't remember falling asleep after I was told... my thought trailed off. I closed my eyes automatically hoping for some miracle that everything that had happened the days before was part of some awful nightmare. There was no way I was actually dying, I mean Lyra would never allow that to happen...would she?

Don't be ridiculous, Lyra isn't a monster like that.

You're right, she isn't the one that is the monster. You are. You're the one that hurt her, you're the one that is forcing her to give up her mate. You are the monster here, not her. Another voice told me.

I shook my head, this isn't possible. How could I have allowed things to get so out of hand. Never in my life would I allow Lyra and me to become so distant that she would leave. So it must've been a dream... I sat on the edge of my bed. My memory from the last few days seemed hazy, I had no clear memories about the events from that last couple of days. That might've been because I was sick, I thought. I snorted at how ridiculously that thought even was. Werewolves don't get sick, stupid, I thought in response.

With a sigh of relief I laid back down on my mattress. My body felt drained from the sudden rush of adrenaline that startled me awake and my chest felt a little heavy. I stared at the white ceiling. No thoughts floated around in my head, no arguments filled my mind, there was nothing but golden silence.

My eyes began to flutter closed, I flipped over on my stomach and hugged my pillow close to my chest. I breathed in the familiar smell of fabric softener and let another content sigh escaped me. I was finally home.

As I was about to drift back in the peaceful arms of sleep, outside the walls of my room I heard familiar voices. My pack! I jumped out of my bed again and rushed over to my door. This urgent need to see them invaded my body. When I reached the door, I was out of breath. I had to stop to regain control of my breathing. This isn't right...why am I so weak?

"How much worse do you think she'll get?" A male voice asked, his tone was low. Male voice? That's impossible, males weren't in the pack.

"I've only seen this happen a handful of times, young one. Each case is different than the last. Sometimes a body can last a few weeks without their wolf, other times only a few days. It depends on how well connected they are to their wolf. The stronger the connection the harder it is for their body to survive without their wolf companion, meaning their days are more limited." Rosemarie answered back. She was one of the elders, to be more specific, she was the oldest wolf in our pack. Rosemarie had all the answers, had more experience than any other member. If an issue arises in the pack, we turn to her for guidance if we couldn't seem to find a clear solution.

My ears perked up a bit, who was Rosemarie talking to? I listened closer, I knew it was rude to eavesdrop on people but I was the Alpha. Which meant I was entitled to know what was going on at all times in the pack.

"From how quickly I saw her get sick and how fast her body responded to her wolf leaving, it seemed like they had a pretty strong bond." The guy said another, heavy footsteps shuffled on the floor.