Part One: Quite a Debacle

The Scandal Sheet - 1831

London, England

Dear reader,

Rumor has it there was quite a spectacle at Wright's haberdashery on Picadilly late this morn. It seems Lady G- has reentered society with all the finesse of a stampeding elephant. Not only was she seen walking with a certain eligible (but alas, quite formidable) duke, only seconds later a thoroughly distraught Viscount sped from the same shop with the most foreboding scowl. My dear readers, this author must disclose how disturbing such a sight was, indeed. It makes this author wonder what had sent that unusually debonair and delightful scoundrel into a tizzy.

Positively ferocious.

Even more alarming, my dears, how long do you suppose before this rendezvous becomes common knowledge?

That's the true atrocity.

For if there is one thing this author knows it is that time will tell, and gossip, no matter how well-buried, will rise up like the Ghost of Ruined Reputations Past.

Even more extraordinary - though how related or unrelated it might be - two ladies whom London has lovingly referred to as the Scathing Sisters, were seen leaving before the form of all three in our most interesting party. Three's a crowd, dear reader, but all these persons together...

Oh, if only the walls of that shop could talk!

Perhaps not even the most diabolical of us watchers and gossipmongers will ever know...