The Treaty

Chapter 38

"That is unacceptable." One of the King of Rashold's advisors roared when we made the demand for the destruction of the Rasholdian base in the North. It was on disputed territory between Rashold, Colland, and Wilheland, the icy country that spanned across the Northern sea. It was made up of several large islands, and honestly, the monarchs had no interest fighting with two warring countries over an icy, barren territory. But the base would serve as an excellent launching point for an attack into the North Western territory of Colland, a perfect launching point for an attack on Westlake. "That territory was hard won from our King's grandfather."

"Silence, Warren." Jefferson held up his hand to shut up the angry people. "We will concede the base, if you remove the five dozen ships on Thanir's naval base."

"I'll remove three dozen of them." I said, turning my head to Elijah. "Any more than that would be irresponsible. However, you share nearly two thousand miles of country with us, what other purpose would you have for that strip of land, a strip of land that extends two hundred miles into my nation if not to attack my country?"

"We'll remove the base." The King said. "If you remove four dozen ships." I looked to Fitz.

"Yes." I said as Fitz looked over at me.

"Well," Fitzgerald said, "That brings us to the last item of the summit." Fitz said, brining us to the item that we'd be avoiding since we began negotiations two days ago. "The Portaval Pass." The pass was the only pass through the mountain range that made the border between Rashold and Colland. Most of the Rasholdian troops had been mobilized through it, the few that had made it far south enough to pass through the heavily forested regions had met the troops of Thanir head on. The terrain near the pass was rough, cold, and high. By the time my father had realized the invasion was coming through the pass and mobilized troops, the Rasholdian king's army was already on the top of the plateau. They had the high ground, and our armies didn't stand a chance. Henry said it had been a slaughter. The Rasholdians took no prisoners, and I couldn't tell if that was a blessing or a curse.

"We wish to occupy the pass." I said.

"So do we." The King said. "We will not allow you to take control of such a vital piece of land." He opened his mouth to continue, but Fitz interrupted.

"But you wish to have it? To commit the acts of your father if you deem it necessary?" Fitz scoffed, rolling his eyes and leaning back on his chair. "I don't take you as a fool, Jefferson. Your country, your father, started this war. You really expect us to trust you enough to let you control that pass?" The advisors around the room started to whisper as the King's face hardened. I could tell he was embarrassed because of the red tinge of the tips of his ears. I studied him for a moment before I looked around.

"Can I ask to clear the room?" I said looking around. The party we had brought got the message, all hurrying for the exit of the tent, but the Rasholdians had not moved. I raised an eyebrow. "There was only one answer to that question." I said, but they just looked at each other confusedly. "LEAVE!" I snapped when they did not move.

The tent cleared, and I sighed softly. "We were doing so well." I said, standing up.

"I have a proposition." He said quietly, making me turn around. "Joint occupation of the pass. A joint force of both my men and yours, with the mediating forces being your soldiers, your highness." He said indication Fitzgerald. "Your men on one side, mine on the other, and we appoint two officers that decided what enters the pass. Three if you wish. My closest companion, Lord Bren, was educated with me in Wilheland. He feels the same about this war as I did, as you did. He would be a fair and impartially judge. I'm sure you can each appoint a man like that." I glanced at Fitz, trying to read his expression.