The Mausoleum

Chapter 26

I woke the next morning in a cool stone chamber in the incredibly quiet stone castle. I lazily looked over to my right, stretching my back and letting out a sleepy sigh as I took in the huge bushel of white roses standing out against the mahogany wood paneling of my chambers. I sat up slowly, reaching over to grab the card. "Princess, I would be extremely grateful if you were to accompany me to the Mausoleum. We depart mid-afternoon. George."

Who in the world was George? I thought as the doors to my chambers banged open, Lily carrying a tray with enough food on it to feed a village, which is to say, enough to feed her. She smiled, setting it down on my bed before flopping down on the comfortable mattress.

"Hello Sleepy head." She laughed, taking a piece of toast from the tray as I grabbed the tea cup to keep her from knocking it over. I rolled my eyes.

"What time is it?" I asked, looking over to the huge windows that were covered in gauzy white curtains, the sun bright behind them.

"About noon. You're the last one of us awake." I looked alarmed for a brief second. Before getting to the palace, I had never been one to sleep in. But after the days of traveling, my lack of sleep was surely catching up to me. "Tessa and Micah have been running around on the lawns all morning like proper children." She said as she took a drink of her tea. "I would've joined them of course, but I was too preoccupied laying around until one of the Duke's daughters demanded I get up and wake you."

"Does the Duke have a son named George? I remember meeting Lionel last night, and the sisters, but I never met a George." I asked, beginning to peel a piece of fruit. Lily nodded, wiping crumbs out from under her mouth.

"George is the boy who performed the ceremony last night. It's some tradition or other for one of the Duke's children to go to the Monastery, typically the second or third born. But George was selected because he shares your birthday. It's so mythical connection thing. Who knows, half the things they practice here are a load of hoo-ha." She explained, rolling her eyes as a playful squeal cut through the silence outside, followed by a laugh I only knew as Micah. "It seems Tessa might be stealing the heart of your...friend." She teased, making me throw a crumpet at her.

"Micah is allowed to do as he pleases; I'm not going to marry the man." I snapped playfully.

"Oh you're just going to marry Elijah then?" She bit back with a grin. I rolled my eyes, tearing a piece of toast into smaller pieces.

"I don't know. I think I'm far more suited for spinster-hood. They are both too much drama for me." She rolled her eyes.

"Oh you love drama." She said, swinging her legs off of the bed and heading to the trunks.

"So what am I wearing today? Black for mourning? And please tell me that monstrosity is safely stored away so Marie doesn't kill us." Lily laughed.

"Yes it's safe and clean. And no, I was thinking the white chiffon dress." She said. "The Duchess said it was a tradition to wear white. Why do you all have so many damn traditions. It's quite annoying. Think about it, you're constantly doing what one of your ancestors decided was a good idea, instead of doing whatever you please." I plopped back onto the pillows thinking you have no idea.

I rolled out of bed shortly after, and Lily helped me into the pretty, delicate white dress. She chatted idly as she started to arrange my hair, pinning it loosely off of my face, as the door banged open and a girl, about eight or nine burst in, squealing excitedly as she bounded over to me. I jerked back as she threw her arms are me, her arms awkwardly surrounding me in my chair as she jumped up and down.