Chapter 16: New Guards Part III

Piper was greeted with insults and curses from the audience, as she walked out into the arena. She came to a stop at the middle, she looked up, her gaze fixed on Percy's smirk. She prayed that her fear wasn't visible, she wanted to prove to him that she could overcome any challenge thrown at her. 

               Percy raised his hand for silence, the crowd didn't dare to hesitate. Without warning, Percy snapped his finger and the ground below Piper's feet began to shake, all around her holes appeared, climbing out of the holes were her friends.

               Piper stood confused as her friends climbed out. She looked back, expecting to find her real friends behind the arena's gates, but they won't there. "These are your real friends Piper, I just borrowed them for your challenge, you won't mind right?"  Percy's voice spoke in her head. 

               They were possessed, she remembered back at the Argo II, when Leo, Jason and Percy were possessed by Edilions. Their eyes were pure gold. "I swear if you hurt them, you'll only have yourself to blame for the consequences you'll bear." Piper muttered as the Edilions drew there friends' weapons out and charged. 

               She didn't pull her dagger out, she waited until they were close enough to charge. Annabeth was the first to reach her, Piper jumped away missing her dagger's end. As much as it hurt her, she kicked her best friend, causing Annabeth to fall to the ground, Annabeth's dagger scattering away. Piper grabbed the dagger from the ground and fixed it in her belt. Without a weapon a fighter could be useless. 

               Jason advanced on her next, his sword gripped tightly. Piper knew she didn't stand a chance against Jason. She was proven right when Jason disarmed her and kicked her down. They all gathered around her, their weapons ready incase she made a move. 

               Piper couldn't lie to herself anymore, she had powers that she could use. But Celeste shattered that confidence in her, she had done this before, why was she afraid to do this now? She opened her mouth to speak but Percy's voice alarmed her. "May I remind you, by forcing the Edilions out, your friends would feel unbearable pain. The pain would become a dark void around their hearts, forever. Are you willing to damage your friends, just to win yourself a spot as an Upper Guard?" 

               Piper looked up, her friends' golden eyes glaring at her. The choice was obvious: it was her or them. By defeating the Edilions her friends would be inflicted with a darkness inside of them they would have to battle, everyday. And the unbearable pain they would feel. 

               Unexpectedly, Piper sprung up and pushed Hazel away, giving her a chance to flee. She grabbed her dagger from the ground and awaited her charging friends. "Its now or never, Piper." She muttered under her breath. She knew the price they would pay, but she didn't want to live with the price she would pay if she didn't win. "Edilions, stop!" Piper yelled. 

               She knew she was giving Percy what he wanted. But this would get them closer, to him. She just doesn't have to tell them, she can't tell them she triggered their dark sides. Her friends froze in their places, the crowd was silenced at their sudden obedience to her. 

               "Edilions, you will leave their bodies. Without hesitating." Beads of sweat dropped on her forehead, she didn't remember it being this hard from the last time she had done this. Jason shook his head, the Edilion speaking with his voice. "Your Charmspeak isn't more powerful than us,  daughter of Aphrodite." 

               "Actually, it is more powerful. My victory over you last time proved it." She said, forcing a smile."You will leave their bodies, now! Or else I will have to fight you, all." Piper warned.