Chapter 44: The Past

"Mitch. We need to talk." And I begin my journey back to Blood Lust.  

I feel my weight on my chest lighten when my eyes meet his, but I cast them down to his shoes. It's not weakness, just disappointment. I never would've guess that my own mate would betray me in such a way, after all of the abuse, all of the lies. I want to scream. I need to scream. But instead, I let salty tears roll down my cheeks before looking back up to Mitch. I can't hold it in any longer; it's killing me. I can tell Mitch's wolf wants to help me, but as soon as his hand reaches my wrist, I flinch away. 

"Everyone out. Now." Mitch commands and instantly, the pack melts away into different parts of the house. 

I look down, afraid to see my own mate's eyes. Was everything a lie? I hear Tris's heart break into a million pieces. 

"He would've rejected us. We're a pity case."  Tris whimpers. "We're never going to escape our past, Clare."  

"Clare.." Mitch trails. Then, he uses his finger to lift my chin. Our eyes meet and all I feel is cold. There's no longer happy warmth that made me feel like everything is going to be okay. 

"Why didn't you tell me about Michael?" I ask, hot tears spill from the corners of my eyes. I wish I could run, but I need to know. 

"I-I..Clare, I didn't know how to-" 

"Tell me? Are you joking? My entire life is tragic and you think finding my mother's murderer would've brought me down?" I yell. 

"N-no." 

"Then what?" 

"I don't know, baby. I just couldn't tell you." 

"You felt bad about my mother. That's the only reason you didn't reject me." 

His eyes instantly widen. But not in surprise. In pain. 

"Do you even remember the first time we met?" 

//Flash back to one year ago//

I woke up, warmth surrounded me. Someone's arms were around me. I was laying in a bed. I had new clothes on. I had a bandage on my arm. Where did I get that -

I stopped as the memories flooded my mind. I heard a deep grunt behind me. I looked and saw a perfect, sleeping, Mitch. His hair was a little messy, it was adorable. I chuckled as I tried to get away from him. Every time I tried to get away, he growled and pulled me back towards his chest.

"Mitchhhh.." I moaned.

"Clareeee..." he mumbled back.

//Flash forward//

I smile. Remembering every single moment. His beautiful golden eyes. Roses and honey. 

"I'm so sorry," and with that, I crash into his chest, letting his strong, supportive arms wrap themselves around my waist. 

"I'm never going to let you go, Clare. You are mine until the end of our time. We're going to make this pack powerful, together. We're going to have the most adorable pups you've ever laid your eyes upon. You're going to be an amazing mother. We're going to get married. I'm going to call you my wife. You're mine forever. Please, don't forget that I'm in love with you." He whispers into my ear and I feel Tris's heart being put back together like it was never broken. 

Like it was never a pity case.