The Invader

The Invader

©2016, Olan L. Smith

The Pastor is eating a meal given in honor of his coming to their country church, one Sunday. He is not their minister, but the church is without one and he has come to apply for the job. After the service, the congregation is throwing a potluck dinner to see how the pastor and his wife handled social situations, but nothing could prepare for what is about to occur, sending this adventure in a direction that will forever change the young parson's life. After they settle into the meal, they hear a knock on the outside basement door; someone is wanting entrance. An elder of the church gets up to see about the commotion. A fellow church member would just walk in and make themselves at home so something is amiss, soon the eating and conversations return to normal. Suddenly, the noise at the door gets louder and eyes again return to the turmoil.

A loud voice interrupted, "Ma, needs a preacher," the walking-stick carrying young man said loudly. He is in overalls; long unkempt dark hair separated him from the church members in the basement. The Minister immediately knows this situation is one he will take care of but not; before he is summoned by The Elder, he keeps a close eye on the scene. "Ma, needs a preacher man, now!" the lad's cane stick hit the right door jamb with force causing a loud ka-thunk; everyone stops and eyes again turn to the brouhaha. The elder's wife tries to keep the pastor and wife in conversation and away from the ruckus. The woman evidently knows the Invader. She seems embarrassed, but the stick/cane welding lad is not leaving.

The Elder moves from the basement door toward the visiting pastor. "He," referring to the wild-man, "wants to talk to you. I am sorry for the interruption, but he wants you to go with him; it seemed his mother is dying."

The Minister replies, "I will go if an elder accompanies me." The Elder looks worried then agrees to accompany the minister.

The Elder's wife tugs on her husband's suit coat and says, "I don't want you to go. The hill people are dangerous. No telling what he's up to."

The Elder replies, "I know, Hun, but I should go, it is my duty to accompany the pastor if he asks."

Hearing the concern in their voices, the pastor's wife is concerned and whispers to her husband. "You're not their pastor, yet, perhaps you should sit this one out."

The Minister replies aloud, "I must go, God is with me," and he rises to greet the intruder.

The Intruder says the same thing to the minister as he did to the elderly but with more emphasis. "Ma, needs a preacher man. Pa says to fetch him; a preacher man, come." The lad turns to leave the church, climbing up the cement stairwell leading up to ground level. Nervously, the elder and the preacher man follow. The young man is obviously having trouble communicating his thoughts, perhaps he is uneducated or has some other problems, but he seems determined to follow his father's instructions and get a parson no matter what.

Inside The Elder's car they followed the lad's pickup truck; as they were driving The Minister asked The Elder what this was all about. The Elder replies that he is not sure. He continues by explaining, "These people are deep hill folk who are very seldom seen, and most of the town folks are scared of them. No, telling what will happen once we are there." He is visibly nervous, even frightened, but since a pastor was with him he seems determined to see this through to the end, what end neither one knows. The car is silent as they continue to drive deeper and deeper into hill country. All types of scenarios ran through the preacher's mind; most didn't end well for either of them, but he maintains his outward, dogged demeanor. After about forty minutes of driving, they arrive at a single trailer home, parked in the middle of nowhere. The preacher and the elder exit his vehicle and follow the hillbillylike lad into a trailer home. The trailer door opens into the main living area. The house is full of people, and all are kinfolk. An older, slender woman lays in a reclined position; she is in a sleigh bed against the far wall. She is covered in fine blankets, and she is decked out like royalty; she is their queen. Their king wore overalls and sits catty cornered in his recliner. The young lad who "fetched" them said, "Pa wants you to read scripture to Ma." The Pastor holds his Bible in his hand and opens it.