Chapter Ten

🔺Miles Cain

*Mara*

  "Carlos," a man says and my cousin looks up paling. "You haven't been paying me back."

  "Wait please," Carlos pleads backing up. "I'll have your money I just need more time."

  "Times up," I walked out of my room just as a dark hair, tattoo man shot my cousin. I didn't remember screaming but the next thing I remember was being pinned to the wall. 

  "What do we have here," he chuckles stepping back some.

  "What do you want?" I asked scared.

  "You know that man?" another man asked and I nodded.

  "He's my cousin," I whisper staring at my now dead cousin.

  "You'll pay back the money he owns me," the man who shot him said.

  "Wha..."

  "And if you tell anyone I'll kill someone else you care about," They left and I stood there for a while before running to my room and shoving clothes in a bag and running out of the house, leaving the two people I love, breaking my heart in the process.

  "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN HE WASN'T THERE!?" someone yelled.

  "He wasn't there," another said calmly. "There was blood and not just hers."

  "Find him," the first person growled. "Because if I do, I will kill him."

  "The whole team is here and looking, along with Zane and Brandon." the second person said. "We'll fi..." everything faded away.

  "Either you work for us," Jay smirks. "Or we kill your brat and make you watch before killing you." 

  "Don't hurt her," I whimper scared. "I'll do whatever you want just don't hurt her."

  "Good," he chuckles. "Be at this address tomorrow or I'll be back to destroy everything you care about."

  After her leaves I check on Dani before I pack stuff and put in my car.

  "Mommy," Dani sleepily says as I buckle her in her seat.

  "Shh sweetie," I smile sadly kissing her forehead. "Go back to sleep."

  "Mara," Drew says opening the door. "What are..."

  "I need to leave town for a few days," I lied. "Could you watch Dani until Zane comes back?"

  "Of course," Drew says and I laid Dani down in her room here. "I'm sorry sweetie. This is the only thing I can think of to protect you."

  "Mara," Drew says catching me before I get to my car. "Is everything alright?"

  "Everything going to be fine," I smile sadly before dashing to my car and driving away from everything I'm trying to protect. Once again...

  "Rissa...Rissa...Rissa," someone kept repeating. "Please wake up."

  "Travis," another voice says. "I'm gonna go on a coffee run, you want any?"

  "No," he growls.

  "Dude you need to eat,"

  "Not hungry,"

  "Alright," the other person sighed and it got quiet.

  "You should eat," I croak opening my eyes since the room was dark.

  "Rissa," Travis jumped knock over the chair he was in. "Baby your away."

  "Water,"

  "Here," he says holding the straw to my lips. "Slowly."

  "Thanks," I whispered pushing the cup away. "What happened?"

  "What do you remember?" Travis asked sitting on the bed holding my hand.

  "Pain," I muttered thinking. "WHAT HAPPENED TO DANI?"

  "She's fine," Travis says looking at me sadly. "Scared and having nightmares, but that's mostly my fault."

  "Huh?" I questioned confused, "Why would Dani having nightmares be your fault?"

  "She saw you when we rushed you here," Travis said. "Knife still in your stomach."

  "Oh," I mumbled. "That's not your fault." Travis just grunted. "What happened to Jay?"

  "Taken care of," Travis says scratching the back of his neck.

  "Travis," I groan. "Tell me the truth. You only scratch your neck when your lying."

  "You remember that," he chuckled before seeing my expression. "He's missing. By the time that Eddie's team got there he was gone."

 "So I got stabbed for nothing," I said trying to make a joke.

  "That's not funny," Travis growled.

  "Sorry," I mumbled and a doctor walked in.

  Hours later I finally convinced Travis to go get something to eat that wasn't hospital food while dozed from the pain meds the nurse gave me.

  "Marissa," someone whispered lightly shaking my shoulder.

  "You," I gasped when I realized who the man was. "W-what d-do y-you w-want?"

  "To help," he muttered looking at the door. "Listen, I know how to stop Jay."

  "Wha...Why?" I asked confused.

  "Because," he sighed. "You deserve to have a life with you daughter and I know your not lying when you said you don't know who killed Dante."

  "Why do you believe me?" I questioned.

  "I don't have much time," he muttered placing a hand over my mouth. "Jay is coming for you tonight, you need to disappear for a few days. There's a old house about ten miles away from the one your staying in now. Go there until I contact you."

  "Wait," I say before he can walk out. "What's your name?"

  "Miles Cain," he says and dashes out.