Chapter Fifteen, Part Three - Breaking The Rules

I spent the rest of the gala glued to Ethan's side, smiling hard and making small talk all while pretending a giant vortex hadn't just opened beneath the feet of my life. The closer midnight approached, the more Ethan noticed my change in mood. He asked me what was wrong several times, but of course I couldn't tell him. Spilling my guts about a ring that had been stolen by his crazy, vindictive ex-girlfriend who would either hold it hostage in order to ruin his relationship with his father or simply kill him? Yeah, well, that obviously wasn't a safe conversation to have with Ethan–even in a room full of witnesses. Which is why no matter how much he begged, bullied, and cajoled, I kept my mouth shut.

"Ethan, there are some things I'd just prefer keeping to myself," I said, after he'd dragged me to the hidden alcove by the restrooms. "Just because we have this bond doesn't mean I'm automatically inclined to share every detail of my life with you."

"I'm supposed to look out for you, Mimi--it's in the job description, remember? Can you blame me for being concerned? Somewhere between the time we showed up tonight and now you've been scared about something--I can feel it. I'm worried about you, damnit--is that so wrong?"

"No, no it's not." I sighed, more from guilt than frustration. "But let me handle it, please. It's my problem. Not yours, ok?"

Ethan looked as if he wouldn't back down. "Fine. You're right. I'll let you handle it."

"Thank you,"

"But I'm not happy about this."

"And that's what makes you such a good friend." I gave him a quick hug. "Listen, I have to go solve my little problem now. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to ditch you –"

"It's ok. The Gala's ending anyway." Ethan replied, disappointed. "Call me tomorrow."

"I will."

My internal clock began ticking loudly, reminding me of the task at hand, but before I left the Fairway, I remembered to stop at the donation table and write a hefty check. My grandfather may have been a scoundrel, but his cause was still a legitimate one. And at least it offset the balance of future transgressions I might engender. Well, so I told myself.

Charles and Kimber had taken positions on either side of the country club's entrance. Guests were slowly filtering through the front doors, shaking the hands of their host and hostess as they went and gushing about having had such a great time. I caught Addy's eye as she, Collin, and Ethan made their way towards the exit. She raised her eyebrows and I gave her a thumbs up. It was a close walk to the bridge from the country club. I could find my way alone.

I headed to the fire exit doors in the back and pushed through them. I hadn't realized how warm it was inside the club until I felt the chilliness of the evening. Standing on the back steps, I paused to admire the heavens. It was a lovely shade of blue-black, peppered with silver-white stars that peeked through a smoke-screen of puffy, slate-colored clouds. Tonight the moon was just a crescent in the sky, sharp and yellow as cheese, but its silver light remained strong. If it hadn't been for Eve, this would've been the perfect scene for a shift and a midnight run.

"Beautiful,"

I heard the click of a camera's shutter and perceived the cherry end of a cigarette in the dark. A man stepped out of the shadows of the building. At once he struck me as the reporter type–most likely the same one who had taken pictures of my grandparents.

Whoever he was, he looked nice in his suit, which was simple and black. His tie was already loosened, with the sleeves rolled up, a jacket nowhere to be seen, and his dress shoes were nice despite the scuff marks. His hair was dark and short, but long enough on top for the faux hawk he sported. He stood below me looking upwards, like a man admiring a painting.