Epilogue

LEE KNOW POV

LEE KNOW POV

A few days after I'd been given the box, we had a funeral for Han. He'd requested his ashes be spread at the beach, so we took another trip up.

I wasn't sure I'd ever be able to step foot on the beach again.

I'd barely been able to say the words I'd rehearsed for him and ended up a blubbering mess. Hyunjin and Felix comforted me and tried to make it better. It didn't...but they tried. I'd worn Han's sweater under my blazer.

We had invited his parents, but they didn't come. I assumed they must've felt too ashamed to show face around those of us who were there for him at the end when they'd dismissed him so easily. I don't know what I would've done if they'd showed up. I was glad they hadn't.

We had let Chad come, though...it was fine.

When we'd gotten home, I put back sweater back in the box and just stared at it. I placed the letter inside, too, and let it sit on the table for days until I moved it to the desk in my room and eventually a shelf in my closet. It made me too sad to look at.

In the fall, Felix and Hyunjin decided they wanted a place of their own. They offered to move out but I decided I would instead.

I needed a change. I needed to leave the city.

I'd nearly finished packing when I spotted Han's lettering for the first time in months. I opened the box and was overwhelmed by the smell of his sweater. I found myself putting it on and I lifted the coin that I'd yet to use. Han had told me to use it to wish selfishly...

Before I knew it, I found myself walking towards Bethesda Fountain again. It was a crisp fall day and the orange and red leaves blew in the breeze around me.

In the park, people walked hand-in-hand in coats and scarves. I just had on Han's light sweater, but it made me feel warm.

I didn't even know what to wish for. Han had said that he'd wished for me to fall in love again. I doubted I'd ever feel that way for someone else.

He'd also said my wish had been impossible, so I decided this one would be something realistic.

At least that has been the plan...

"Sorry Han," I mumbled as I wished for something else that was unattainable.

I wish I knew that Han was happy.

I didn't know how he'd pull that off, but I wanted it. He'd already wished for me to find love anyway, so I didn't see a point in trying for that again.

I suddenly felt someone tug at my hand and looked down to see a little girl trying to get onto the bench.

"I wish my daddy was happy," she said and tossed in the coin before running back to her father who was angrily shouting into his phone. I stared at her in shock and when she ran away, on the back of her long-sleeve t-shirt, it said Soccer Champions 2024.

I found myself laughing and crying. I likely looked like a lunatic but I didn't care.

I turned to head back to my apartment and bumped right into someone.

"Oh, sorry," I muttered and looked up.

"Hi," he smiled.

"Hi, Seungmin."