Chapter 28

HAN POV

HAN POV

Lee Know and I walked back into the apartment after I'd convinced him not to take me to the hospital. We passed by my landlord's office on the way upstairs, and he threw us a smug smile that pissed me off and made Lee Know tense. He squeezed my hand in frustration and apologized when I winced in pain.

We climbed the many, many steps, and I was out of breath before we'd even made it halfway. Lee Know looked worriedly at me when we reached the final landing before my floor, but I continued on to my apartment, determined not to appear weak even though I was wheezing and gasping for air.

When we got to my door, there was another eviction notice taped to it. I rolled my eyes and tore it down. Lee Know mumbled something about my landlord being a scummy asshole, and we walked inside.

"You can't do these stairs for much longer Han," Lee Know pointed out. I was making my way to the fridge to get something to drink but it was empty. I grabbed a cup and filled it with tap water instead.

"I'm fine," I replied breathlessly as I sat down on the couch. I felt dizzy and exhausted. Was this what people called a runner's high? If so, I hated it.

"I think we should stay at my place," Lee Know suggested as he plopped down beside me.

"Your place?" I raised an eyebrow. "Don't you think it's too soon to move in together? I mean, we aren't even dating. Not really."

"Han," Lee Know shook his head, "You can't stay here. The stairs are obviously too much, and I'm going to be wherever you are. So whether it's my place where there's an elevator or here where you're dying trying to..."

Lee Know paused at his choice of words. His eyes went wide and all of the blood drained from his face making him a ghostly white.

"Dying trying to...what?" I teased him.

"Han. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean...I'm sorry. I shouldn't have..." Lee Know fretted, stumbling over his words as clumsily as me trying to walk.

"It's okay Lee Know," I told him. He obviously hadn't meant it that way, and it didn't bother me. I was dying. It was a fact.

"It's not Han. I wasn't thinking. I just..." he began but I interrupted him.

"Yeah, let's move to your place. These stairs are killing me." I smiled with a wink.

"It's not funny, Han," he argued with a huff as he crossed his arms.

I shrugged and took another sip of my water. "It's a little funny."

Lee Know sighed and put his arm around me again. "Are you serious, though? About moving?"

"Oh I'm deathly serious," I chuckled, enjoying how annoyed he was. He'd been treating me so carefully lately that it was nice to see him a little mad at me.