→ 𝐈.𝐈𝐈

.

ACT I
CHAPTER II

the first day after

THERE IS COMMOTION in the Crawford's house, in merely a few hours it was expected that suitors would be coming to meet the debutante. The Countess of Dalton and her son already present. A mesh of blue and red signals the chaos the household is in. A fussing Diana in red trying to make sure Jessamine in light blue looks splendid for the callers.

"Tilt your head to the right," the countess says, repositioning some of her niece's hair.

"Are we nearly done?" It was no secret that Jessamine had always been a troublesome girl, always getting into mischief with her younger brother and older cousin and not liking to dress up for social occasions she is forced to attend.

"Shuss," Diana's voice turns into one she uses on her two younger daughters quite a lot, it is strict but still very loving, "the longer you complain, the longer this is going to take."

"You do need to look absolutely perfect," Richard reminds his daughter with a pained smile, "we all know what is at stake." Yes, they all know. Richard was the only living Crawford male. Inheriting his title at a mere 5 years old after both his parents died, there were no living Crawfords except his grandmother, making him the sole heir. And seeing as his heir and wife died, the queen gave him the opportunity of letting his daughter be the mother of the next Baron. Knowing how much of a love match the Baron and late Baroness were.

"Let us not stress dear Jessamine even more," Diana smiles weakly at her brother-in-law, "I am sure Adele would've wanted her to take it easy and slow." She squeezes her niece's shoulder.

"I know," the baron massages his temples, "I just wish she was still here." He starts to pace through the drawing room to try to ease his nerves.

"We all do papa," Jessamine pipes up, trying to supress her tears. The complete situation making her uncomfortable. "I am so nervous." Her hands fidgeting with the hem of her dress. "What if no one shows up?"

"Do not worry, my dear cousin," Gideon smirks at her, "they will after your impeccable and golden presentation to the queen yesterday. You are just as desirable as Miss Norton if not more." He leans back into the sofa, staring at his mother and Jessamine ever few minutes.

The countess hums, "he is correct about that," putting one last pin in the beautiful blonde hair. "And otherwise, there is more than enough chance to meet someone at the ball tonight." She hints at the first ball of the season; one Jessamine was even more anxious about. "You will do amazing, do not worry so much darling." She hugs her softly.

...

Gideon is right, like he mostly is, which does no good to his ego that might grow to the size to suffocate them all in this city house. There are many callers waiting for a moment to converse with the debutante. Diana's hawk eyes keeping careful watch over the gentlemen who present themselves to her niece. She had to force her brother-in-law to leave the room after he nearly embarrassed them all with the first gentleman entering.