→ 𝐈.𝐈

.

ACT I
CHAPTER I

the debutante

IN A HOUSE, overgrown with ivy and white roses in the front yard, in London 1815, the Baron of Crawford stands waiting for his daughter with his nephew Gideon

white roses in the front yard, in London 1815, the Baron of Crawford stands waiting for his daughter with his nephew Gideon. His daughter is currently up in her room making herself ready to be presented to the queen with her aunt, her supporter. Of course, the Baron knows it isn't an ideal situation, but with his wife the late Baroness gone, her sister is the best first choice to support his daughter in her entrance to society.

"We need to go soon," the baron mumbles as he looks at his pocket watch, "in about 2 minutes we would have to call out to the two women."

"I am sure they will be done soon, uncle," Gideon smiles at his stressed uncle, he expected the man to be anxious, but not this badly. Of course, it isn't ideal to debut at the age of 23, many people already seeing you as on your way to become a spinster, but it is not possible to debut when once is burdened with grief.

But just like that, they hear the door open, Countess Diana Dalton in front of the debutante Jessamine Crawford. As Diana moves next to her son, the baron gets a view of his daughter. Who looks remarkably beautiful with the off-white dress with golden details. Even the feathers on her head match everything and enhance the gorgeous Jessamine. They are, of course, expressive, and large how the queen likes, but it looks well balanced.

"You look even more beautiful than your mother," Richard says, offering his arm to his daughter, "I am sure the queen will be very impressed." He kisses her temple.

"I hope so," Jessamine links her arm through his, letting her father lead her to their carriage.

The two Daltons follow the two Crawford. "She does look a lot like my late sister." Diana says to her son, "your aunt." A methanolic smile on her features as the blonde debutante in front of them smiles back at the two.

"I know," Gideon muses, "the image of my dear aunt Adele will forever be ingrained in my head. I don't think I can ever forget her after everything, especially when I see our darling Jessie." Diana only smiles at her son, the play dates she and her sister used to organize flashing before her eyes. No words can describe how much she misses her younger sister even if she has only been gone for a year.

...

As the Four reach the palace, Jessamine can't help her nerves. Sure, she was supposed to enter society two seasons ago, but still anxiety surrounds her presentation to the queen. Especially since she now is older than all girls that are presenting themselves.

"Don't be afraid," Richard says to his daughter, "just keep breathing." He gives her a small smile, wishing his wife was still here to guide their daughter. She always knew what to say to calm them all down.