CHAPTER 13: WHISPERS OF THE PAST

Adelaide sat cross-legged on the carpeted floor of the basement, her three children gathered around her

Adelaide sat cross-legged on the carpeted floor of the basement, her three children gathered around her. The room, transformed into a cozy classroom, was filled with the warmth of learning and discovery. Today's lesson on Native American history had Addy brimming with excitement, a passion she had carried since childhood.

Growing up, Adelaide had dreamt of becoming a missionary to Indigenous tribes, sharing the love of Christ and teaching them her favourite Bible stories. However, life had taken a different course when she discovered she was pregnant with her first child. Marrying the baby's father, Adelaide shifted her focus to homeschooling her children, turning it into her own mission field where she poured her passion for learning and excellence into their education.

As she delved into the Native American history textbook, Adelaide's fingers trembled with anticipation. The section about shamans and their roles within tribes posed a challenge for her devout Christian beliefs. Instead of dwelling on differences, Adelaide emphasized the aspects of Native American culture that aligned with her Christian worldview. She taught her children about respect for nature, the significance of community, and the traditions passed down through generations.

The children, Joshua, Sarah, and Isabella, listened with rapt attention, their young minds absorbing the lessons like sponges. Adelaide's enthusiasm was contagious as she used storytelling and visual aids to bring history to life, painting a vivid picture of Native American life before European settlers arrived.

As the lesson progressed, Adelaide's eyes sparkled with passion and purpose. Despite her unfulfilled dreams of missionary work, she found joy in passing on knowledge and instilling values in her children. The history lesson not only taught about Native American culture but also fostered meaningful conversations about faith, understanding, and empathy.

With each word spoken, Adelaide's dedication to homeschooling shone brightly, turning her basement classroom into a hub of learning, exploration, and growth for her beloved children.

---

Adelaide's children, Joshua, Sarah, and Isabella, sat in a semi-circle around their mother, their eyes wide with fascination as she recounted tales of ancient tribes and their ways of life. Joshua, with his sandy blonde hair and thoughtful blue eyes, often asked insightful questions that spurred deeper discussions. Sarah, her locks of golden hair framing her face, absorbed every detail with an eagerness to learn that mirrored her mother's passion. Isabella, the youngest with her tousled blonde curls and bright blue eyes, listened intently, occasionally interjecting with innocent yet profound observations.

"I wish we could time-travel and live in a teepee," Isabella sighed wistfully, brushing her sandy blonde hair out of her hazel eyes.

Adelaide gently corrected her daughter, "The Wyandotte Tribe lived in longhouses, not teepees. And remember, time travel is impossible; magic isn't real. Perhaps someday your father will take us to see where they once lived. The fort still stands to this day, although the tribe was wiped out."