30

-

-

Celine leaned back against the bench, her phone held close to her ear as the call connected with Nata.

"Qué onda Celiiii," [What's up Celiiii?] Nata's voice came through the line, filled with warmth and concern as he dragged out her name. 

The sound of his voice was a lifeline amidst the chaos that surrounded her. His calm demeanor and familiar tone were like a soothing balm to her nerves. So much so, that she completely forgot to respond to him.

"Hello?" He called out again, not hearing her.

She couldn't help but laugh softly at his contact photo that appeared on her screen, the alcohol adding a surreal layer to her emotions. For a moment, she forgot the weight of her troubles, "Hi," she replied quietly.

"What's so funny?" Nata chuckled, not quite understanding her sudden burst of laughter.

"Nothing, just..." she trailed off, the words caught in her throat. She couldn't bring herself to burden him with her situation immediately.

He picked up on her hesitation. "Are we still on for warzone tonight?" His playful inquiry brought a small smile to her face, momentarily distracting her from the chaos swirling within.

"Uhhh, about that," she began, her words slurring slightly as the alcohol began to hit her harder. A sudden wave of laughter overtook her, the absurdity of the situation hitting her all at once.

"Why are you laughing so much?" Nata's concern filtered through his laughter, his tone shifting as he sensed something wasn't right.

She struggled to contain her giggles, "Esto perdida," [I'm lost] she managed to choke out, her surroundings blurring in her drunken state.

Nata's tone shifted, "Qué quieres decir? Dónde estás?" [What do you mean? Where are you?] He tapped the facetime button, hoping to get a visual of her surroundings.

Her tear-stained face appeared illuminated by the dim glow of her phone screen. Nata's expression shifted to one of concern as he took in her disheveled appearance. "Celine, dónde estás?" His urgency was palpable.

"No lo sé. Sólo caminaba." [I don't know, I was just walking] she slurred, her words muddled by the effects of the alcohol. With a shaky hand, she turned the camera to show the passing cars on the street, the lights blurring in the background.

"Dónde está Hassan? Por qué no está contigo." [Where is Hassan? Why isn't he with you?] Nata's questions came rapid-fire, his worry escalating with each passing moment.

"En la fiesta." [At the party] she replied, a mix of sadness and anger seeping into her voice. "Me dijo que me fuera. Así que me fui." [He told me to leave. So I did.]

Nata's brows furrowed in disbelief. "Y te dejó caminar sola a casa." [And he just let you walk home alone?]

Celine shrugged, a fresh wave of tears trickling down her cheeks. "Nos llevó, y no sé cómo llegar a casa." [He drove us, and I don't know how to get home.]