20

-

-

two months later

may 20th, 2019

The morning sun streamed through the curtains, casting a warm glow across Celine's room as she prepared for the most significant day of her young life. Today marked not only her high school graduation but also the beginning of a new chapter, one filled with possibilities and uncertainties.

Hassan had long gone back to New York to continue work there as he picked up more jobs. He managed to visit once in those two months and Celine missed him more than ever. She dreamed of the day they would actually be able to live together and now it seemed more possible than ever.

As she buttoned up her graduation gown and adjusted her cap, her phone buzzed on the bedside table. A flicker of anticipation crossed her face as she grabbed it, hoping to see a message from Hassan. She scrolled through her messages, but the screen remained disappointingly void of any updates from him.

Anxiety began to gnaw at the edges of her excitement. "Maybe his flight was delayed," she mused, trying to quell the rising worry. Determined to shake off the unease, she focused on getting ready, the anticipation of the day's events mingling with her nerves.

Celine took one last look in the mirror, her cap slightly askew, and her nerves tingling with a mixture of excitement and trepidation. The sound of a car pulling up outside reached her ears, and she rushed to the window. To her surprise, it wasn't Hassan but Brenda and Fiona, who had come to accompany her on this momentous day.

With hugs and excited chatter, they shared the morning, snapping pictures and relishing the anticipation of the ceremony.

Family and friends gathered, congratulatory balloons adorned the living room, and the scent of fresh flowers filled the air. However, Celine couldn't shake the sense of incompleteness without Hassan by her side.

As she stood in front of the mirror, adjusting the cap on her head, her phone buzzed, and her heart skipped a beat. Excitement flickered in her eyes as she eagerly reached for it, hoping to see a message from Hassan. Alas, it was just a notification from a friend wishing her good luck.

She sighed, a mixture of disappointment and understanding settling within her. Taking a deep breath, she reminded herself that Hassan had promised to be there. Whether a message arrived or not, he had made a commitment to share this vital moment with her.

Brenda and Fiona sensed Celine's growing anxiety and tried their best to reassure her. Celine explained how she hadn't heard from Hassan and was worried he might be running late. Fiona assured her that everything would be fine, and Brenda chimed in with a playful threat to Hassan, eliciting a much-needed laugh from Celine.

Time ticked away, and soon it was time to head to the graduation venue. The excitement outside couldn't fully drown out the knot of worry tightening in Celine's stomach. She wondered if he would make it in time, checking her phone once more. She worried that something happened to him, but reassured herself that he must just be stuck at the airport.