I'm Dying

Warning: This chapter may be a bit difficult for some to read.

Sterling

"You look miserable," my best friend notes as she sets down the glossy magazine she's reading while we lounge on the outdoor bed in the garden. "Are you okay?"

I am laying on my stomach and my chin rests upon my arms, the sun's warmth kissing my skin. I wish Jackon were the one to be planting scorching smooches all over my flesh instead, but I have ruined it.

"Why are boys so stupid?" I mutter, letting my eyes flutter close.

She giggles. "Uh-oh. What did Brandon do?"

I forget that Gabby has witnessed me and Jackson's friend snuggling at her family picnic. But I don't correct her as I can use the ruse to talk about how I am feeling without having to fess up that the person who really has my heart bleeding is her brother.

"I think I messed up," I admit. "I confessed to loving him even though I know he's in no place to hear it."

Her brows shoot up and she pulls herself into a sitting position, wrapping the thin sheet that covers her, around her shoulders. "Wow, okay. I'm not surprised that he's spooked by that declaration. You've only just become an item, Sterling."

I sigh, opening my eyes and glancing up at my friend. "But I've had feelings for him for as long as I can remember. However, I suppose I did get a tad overzealous that he was finally beginning to show interest in me."

Gabby gives me a reassuring pat on the back before a cough comes over her, sending her into a forceful fit that shakes her entire body.

I narrow my eyes, my mind drifting back to the conversation that I overheard about her between Brandon and Jackson on the dock. "I think I should be asking you the same question that you just posed to me. Are you okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine," she replies, averting her gaze. "It's just allergies."

I look around at the sunflowers that dot the garden, supposing that the flowers don't help any. "Why don't we go back inside then?" I suggest. "I can just as easily mope indoors."

Giggling, she scooches to the end of the bed. "Sure. We can continue to chat about dumb Brandon some more, if you'd like."

As she stands up, she presses her palm to her forehead, her skin growing ashen. Before I can press that something more serious is going on than just seasonal watery eyes and a scratchy throat, her legs buckle from out beneath her, and she collapses onto the ground.

"Gabby!" I scream, rushing towards her side.

She doesn't answer even though her eyes are wildly flitting about, and I wonder if she has hit her head on the concrete bricks. In a cold panic that grips my lungs and makes it hard to breathe, I slip my arms beneath her and try to scoop her up, but I am not strong enough.

"Somebody help!" I yell, glancing over my shoulder at the cabin that suddenly looms far in the distance.

I bite my lip as I turn my focus back onto my best friend. "Hold on, Gabby," I whisper, stroking back her honey-hued curls from her damp skin. "I'm going to go get someone. I promise I'll be right back."

I sprint into motion, commanding my rubbery legs to get to the house as quickly as possible. Perspiration beads my forehead and I'm gasping for air as I burst into the kitchen where Jackson is rummaging in the refrigerator for something to eat.

His brows immediately furrow as he spots me gripping onto the counter and taking heaving breaths. "Sterling, what's wrong?"

"It's...Gabby..." I say in between gulping pants. "She fainted. I think she really injured herself."