58. Sparrows and Griffins

"Argh! I can't take these surgin' tests anymore!" Casey loudly complained as she sank into her chair and slammed her face onto the table.

Fearne got a jump of surprise from that-Elaine had seen it out of the corner of her eyes from where her roommate stood near the room's rear-but Kliff's only reaction was an uninterested peek. By now, Elaine imagined, he'd grown accustomed to their club leader's wild exaggerations.

Raine appeared beside the sulking Casey, shaking his head with his eyes closed. "Now, now, what do you think you're doing? Showing such a pitiful side of yourself in front of our recruits." Raine blinked down at her, but he patted the light-haired girl on her shoulder. "I might not mind, but it isn't just me anymore. Remember, if you intend to return our club to its former glory, you can't allow yourself to fold under pressure."

"But...Raine..." Casey whined, tilting her head and cringing expression up at him, "...exams are the worst!"

"Well, I suppose it's relative to the person," he shrugged casually. "Personally, I find them to be more than easy, at least after I've studied sufficiently."

"Oh, I wouldn't expect a freshman like you to sympathize with my plights!" Casey grunted, smothering her face on the table again. "Talk to me again when you're not a greenie."

Elaine didn't bother hiding her chuckle. Sometimes, it was hard to remember that, yes, Casey was a year above them, as signified by the red-colored cape over her left shoulder. Yet she definitely didn't act like it most of the time. From an outsider's perspective, why, they might assume that either Raine or maybe Kliff was the most senior amongst them. Certainly, Casey wouldn't be anyone's first choice.

But it wasn't as if Elaine couldn't sympathize with her club leader's complaints. Outside of her Potion-Making Class, Elaine couldn't pinpoint how well she'd performed on the other exams she'd taken so far. This week, in particular, felt to her like it would never end.

Their Magihistory exam went as expected, but there were a few essay questions that really challenged her. The Geography exam was a mix of topics ranging from the ones they had covered at the beginning of the semester to those they only learned a week prior.

As for the Study of Spirits exam, it was hard to predict the outcome. While they weren't tested on their ability to summon spirits, the written exam they received wasn't any better. Elaine wasn't looking forward to seeing her results.

With it being Luxyme, it meant that they still had two entire days of exams to get through. Two more agonizingly long, agonizingly stressful days. Elaine's head started to pound when she thought about how she likely wouldn't get much sleep tonight on account of how manic she'd get when it came to her studies, but how could anyone blame her for wanting to do the best she could? Especially when her career as a Professional Sorcerer was on the line.

What's more, she still had another problem to pester over, and surprisingly enough, it had nothing to do with the remaining Midterms or her duty to her family. Professor Marsh was no stranger to lying to his class, as Elaine herself witnessed when he blatantly fibbed about expelling any who failed the Integrity's Rift test.

There was a possibility-small though it might be-that he would take back his word should a large handful of the class fail to meet his expectations. If they failed to acquire a Radiant Star by the end of their first semester, which was rapidly approaching.

What punishment did he have concocting inside that wicked mind of his? What horrors would he put her through should she be unable to present him with a Radiant Star within the next two months? What-

No! Stop it, Elaine reprimanded herself as she sat sharply in her seat. Remember what Hound told me: Focus on one hurdle at a time. One at a time...