32. The Aire Club

On a stuttering tongue, Elaine attempted to provide the girl with some response, although given how bizarre and unexpected her position was, all that streamed out of her lips was a wave of nondescript mumbling. The girl herself must have discerned the uncomfortable expression blanketing her face, as it was why, Elaine imagined, pink spots spiraled onto her cheeks and she released Elaine with a sudden exclaim, scrambling away with hands in front of her eyes.

"Sorry! So sorry! I got too excited there, didn't I?" the girl said, leaning forward in a bow so quick that Elaine thought she might accidentally throw herself onto the floor. "I didn't mean to, I swear. It's just, that I'm on a bit of a time crunch here. Now that I know the three of you are first years, well, I couldn't afford to let this oh-so-fortuitous opportunity slide so easily. Everything depends on this mission's success. No matter what, I have to make this mission a success!"

Custas arched a brow. "Just what in Althea are you talking about?"

"And what mission are you referring to?" Fearne asked as she stood next to Elaine. "Is it some kind of assignment for a class?"

The girl stood up straight and yelped! "Oh yeah, I should have explained that part first. You freshmen probably have no clue what I'm talking about, do you?" she nervously chuckled. She placed a hand over her chest, the corners of her wide grin stretching as far as they could. "First things first, I believe introductions are in order. My name's Casey, Casey Twinleaf. I'm the youngest daughter of House Twinleaf and heir to the rune factories in Hashpoint City."

Elaine cracked open an anxious smile. "Casey, huh?"

If nothing else, she sure had a boisterous Essence. Her wide, navy blue-tinted eyes sat inside of her roundish face sprinkled with freckles, and light hair—scrambled and unkempt—rolled over her ears and to her shoulders. Unlike them, however, she wasn't wearing her school uniform, rather, she had on a white-colored top accompanied by a tangerine skirt that reached halfway down her thighs, as well as a pair of velvet boots. Classes were over for the day, so it was reasonable to assume that not every student would want to remain in uniform. But was it also possible that senior students could dress in their own attire?

After Elaine gave Casey her name—Fearne and Custas followed her lead—the girl smacked a fist into her palm and chuckled. "Lovely, lovely. So, if you're here scouting for potential clubs to join, it'd serve you three well to know that I happen to be a club member as well. In fact, I'm the leader of said club."

Fearne's eyes split open. "Really?"

Casey's smile made the sides of her face dimple. "Yup! I'm the real deal. And this here is my trusted assistant, Raine!"

For a moment, Elaine was confused about who the girl was referring to, but it wasn't until she looked past Casey that she noticed another student standing only a few shuffles behind her. When their eyes met—his intense, green-colored gaze colliding into her—Elaine felt herself shudder, not because she necessarily sensed any hostility from him, if anything, it was difficult to get a solid read on him due to his indifference.

Even so, there remained something about his aura—his Essence—that put Elaine on edge, like the feeling you'd get from a complete stranger you'd pass by on a lonely street at the brink of dusk. That stranger wouldn't need to do anything for one to throw up their guard impulsively, but they'd do so nonetheless out of a reluctance they were conditioned to inherit. That was how she felt, and Elaine started as the student averted his gaze from her, tilting his head forward so as to rub the back of his neck.

But despite that...foreboding feeling that had left her as quickly as it pierced her heart, Elaine couldn't deny that he wasn't easy on the eyes. He was a tall boy with dark skin—hailing from Urista, most likely—that rose to be a head over most others present; Elaine would have to look up if she ever wanted to see his eyes again. His dark hair was mostly fixed into a ponytail that lowered past his shoulders, and, much like his apparent clubmate, wasn't dressed in the usual school attire, preferring instead to don a long-sleeved white shirt and a pair of black pants and boots, a crimson-colored tie dangling from his collar.