4. A Piece of Me

Wunderstones. When charged with magic, their cores would spark with energy, giving the normally turqoise-colored rocks an otherworldly gleam. They could be used to power arcanetech devices—although she wasn't entirely sure of how the method functioned—and they were extremely rare to come by. As such, they were worth hundreds.

However, though she had read about them in books and caught glimpses of them in the marketplace whenever she was out running errands, this was the first Elaine had seen one glow. Were they always so bright? It happened in a flash, turqoise-tinted rays pouring like liquid out of the rock on the table. Its light, it forced everyone else, even the headmaster and his strange assistant, to shield their eyes.

Oddly enough, Elaine had yet to peel her sights off the shining spectacle. She froze, utterly beguiled by what she was witnessing. It took Liam tugging her forcefully on her arm and Milo's barks—low-pitched snaps hammering off to her right—for Elaine to regather her senses.

Gasping, she plucked her hand away from the wunderstone. As she did, the light beaming out of its core ceased. It was a normal rock once more. Elaine touched her forehead, collapsing back into the couch feeling faint. Her breathing was heavy, her heart pounded heatedly against her chest, distracting tingles poked at the skin like splinters. It was as if...as if she'd just cast a spell.

"Impressive," said Orion. In spite of him rubbing his eyes, blinking them rapidly as to readjust his vision, the man seemed enthralled. He openly welcomed an amazed smile, and he leaned forward, elbows resting on his thighs. "You'd be surprised at how many candidates I've watched fail that very same test. Don't be fooled, most would not have done what you just did."

Elaine stared at him plainly. "Pardon...?"

"Tell me," he said, "what is it that drew you to the wunderstone? Usually, their worth is determined by how brightly they glow. But this one was drained, having nothing left to offer anyone. It might as well be an ordinary rock, and some might argue it has no place with the rest of this fine collection; treasures originating from the five corners of Althea. Nevertheless, you chose the wunderstone. Why?"

"I...I can't say," Elaine admitted, scratching her nape. "It felt...right somehow. Like the stone was calling to me. There was a hint of...I don't know, something. A tiny voice trying to get out."

"The Eye of the Beholder," said Raze, a taut gargoyle standing next to the headmaster. "Long ago, when sorcerers and magic were new to Incante, they were ostracized, feared. The ruling forces used wunderstones like this one to snuff out the mages hiding within their kingdoms, hoping to capture and execute them before they had a chance to spread Bedlam."

Elaine shuddered. She wasn't an avid historian, especially when compared to Ellend. When she was younger, she always found history to be boring, thousands of words rambling on and on for endless pages, talking about that of which she cared very little about. Nowadays, she'd sneak into Ellend's room to steal some of the texts from his personal library.

Her mother did have a point, not once had Elaine ever left town. Page was all that she knew. Ignorant was she of what all transpired past its borders. When not eavesdropping on fractions of conversations coming from the mouths of travelers, or scanning the tabloids for something, anything, interesting, she'd resort to the knowledge in her brother's texts.

During the Early Centuries, magic was commonly perceived as evil. Some countries even outlawed the practice of magic. Back then, Elaine wondered, were there also persons who aspired to be sorcerers, even if the rest of the world forbade it? Did they ever wonder if an Era of Magic could even be possible?

"I always find it humorously ironic, how the symbol of death for many innocent mages is now used to recognize skillful sorcerers," Orion chuckled. "In any case, Elaine Harwood. I'm happy to announce that you've passed the test."