07. the only exception

i had sworn to myself

that i'm content with loneliness

because none of it was ever worth the risk

but you are the only exception.

the only exception - paramore

third person pov

November 2023

north london

OTHER THAN TRAINING IN THE MORNING, maddie had been sulking around the house all day. she knew it wasn't Paige's fault for cancelling her trip to london next week, they both were athletes with extremely busy lives, but she couldn't help it. So, maddie had been lying on the couch for the last 3 hours, while dodging calls from her girlfriend.

" are you gonna get that?" asks kyra from the kitchen, sick of her maddie's phone ringing every 5 minutes.

"no" maddie grumbles in return, still lying face down on the couch.

kyra rolls her eyes, before walking over to maddie's phone and putting it on do not disturb.

"avoiding your girlfriend isn't gonna last forever madeline." kyra scowls, before putting 10 things i hate about you, both kyra and maddie's favourite movie, on tv

"i know." maddie sighs. "but it's my plan for the rest of the day."

both the girls forget about their worries for the time being, laughing at the movie they had watched over 1000 times, enjoying being in each others company, and the simplicity of having a best friend and platonic soulmate.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"hi" maddie says into the phone, finally answering one of Paige's repetitive calls.

"finally you picked up the phone" paige sighs while smiling through the phone.

"sorry. i've been super busy today" maddie lies, feeling the guilt of ignoring the blonde all day.

"I'm really sorry i can't come next week. Coach has us all under a super tight schedule for the start of the season." paige explains, trying to figure out why her usual bubbly girlfriend was being surprisingly quiet.

"it's ok p, i understand, i'll see if i get get some time off before international break." maddie says, knowing well that the next time she will see her girlfriend will be in her Christmas break, nearly a month and a half away.

"i hate this." paige groans. "why can't you live closer. all i want to do right now is hug you and kiss you and i cant because you live a pacific ocean away!" paige continues rambling, getting a giggle out of her girlfriend.

"i know but thats just sometimes what you've got to do for the people you love." maddie says nonchalantly, not realising what she just said.

paige stares at maddie through the phone as she continues to get ready, "did you just say you love me?" she asks, still while looking shell shocked.

"uhm" maddie goes red faced while quickly looking for an excuse " i have to go, speak to you later alligator!" maddie says while hanging up the call, then face plants.

"stupid madeline. stupid."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

maddie was on her 5th drink of the night, ranting about her problems to her vice captain, leah williamson.

"le, i basically said i love you to this girl, and we've what been dating for a month?" maddie complains. "there is no coming back from that."

"you'll be fine mads, and if it really bothers you that much just say that you were saying it as a joke?" leah suggests, on the inside laughing at the 21 year olds problem.

"thanks leah. a lot of help." maddie deadpans while finishing off her drink, and the effects of alcohol were starting to get to her.

"that is enough drinks for you tonight." leah says, dragging her away from the bar when maddie tries to order her 6th drink.

"party pooper." maddie says, while sticking her tongue out at her vice captain, who only just chuckles slighty at the younger girls inebriated state.

"lets get you home huh." leah says, while dragging maddie outside to wait for an uber.

"mmm yeah. thats a good idea." maddie agrees, as the duo wave goodbye to the rest of the team, and steph thanks leah for taking care of her more than tipsy sister.

if maddie maybe hadn't been so drunk, she would've checked her phone that night to a couple new messages.

paige

mads

please pick up

for what its worth i love you too

*message deleted*

goodnight babe

CHAR SPEAKS

sorry for no update for like a month, half yearlys are killing me atm

also wtf viv leaving arsenal screaming crying throwing up

JONAS OUT

probably another bit until next update but thank you all for 8.5k reads, literally insane 🥺

as always, don't forget to vote, comment and add to your libraries 🌟