11

Prisha shut down her computer, having finished work for the day. Finally. It was late, the sun already set, moonlight gleaming in through her window. She'd worked right past dinner.

Leaning back in her seat, she stretched and stared up at the ceiling. It had been another boring, run of the mill day. She supposed she should count herself lucky. No more collapses. Only a brief dizzy spell when she woke. No psychiatrists or police or unexpected visits from worried sisters.

Prisha chewed her lip.

It was getting closer and closer to Saturday and she was getting anxious. He said he would find her. But she didn't really trust him and the urge to go down to the shop and buy another tent was all-pervasive. Her feet practically itched for it. Particularly when things were happening around her that should be happening to her.

There'd been two more—albeit extremely brief—sightings of UFOs over Russia and Malaysia. It was too coincidental. It had to have something to do with Alf.

I will find you.

Really? Because it seemed like he was having immense fun zooming around Earth without her.

Prisha jumped at the sound of her phone ringing. She didn't need to look to know who it was. Just upon twilight, same time every day, since Prisha's hospital visit.

'Hello, Sis.' Prisha gripped the phone tightly. 'Yes ... mmhmm ... mmhmm ... I told you, I'm fine. No, no, you don't need to come over.' Prisha sighed. 'It's just the usual boring old day ... yes, I suppose it's a good thing. Okay, love you too. Bye.'

She hung up, went to put it down, thought better of it and swiped for the news. Prisha stared. Another UFO sighting.

I'm only seen when I want to be seen.

What the hell was going on? What was he doing? Her belly squirmed with jealousy. Was he abducting other people? Had he lied when he said he would return? Was she not enough?

So many questions. So many questions she needed to ask him. Prisha tossed her phone onto her beanbag, then turned towards the window.

Down the street was dark and empty. Her heart leapt at a flash of light but it was only a car pulling into a driveway. Her skin prickled. She licked her lips. Just around the corner was a park. Just a little park with a small swing set and a field the kids liked to play cricket in. She pressed her fingers to the back of her neck at a weird tingle.

Prisha lurched right up to the window and laid her hands against it. She leaned in close, pressing her nose against the glass, squinting. Her heart started to race. She could really go to that park right now. It seemed the perfect place to be. The perfect place in a way she couldn't understand. It was warm. It was dry. And she'd been inside all day. She could go swing on that swing set or lie down in the grassy field. It would be soft and quiet. Something different.

Yes. That sounded so great.

Wrinkling her nose, Prisha reached around to press her fingers to the back of her neck again. The tingle was turning to a burn. She turned with a wince and practically skipped towards the door. Hurriedly, she slid on her shoes and picked up her keys. The door slammed shut behind her. She hadn't locked up properly and she wasn't wearing any socks but it didn't matter. Nothing mattered but the park.

She simply must be there.

Right now.

At first Prisha walked fast. It quickly turned into a run. Then she was sprinting down the street, her shoes thudding in the quiet. A dog was barking. There came the usual whoosh of traffic from the nearby highway. A streetlight gleamed against the road. She turned onto a footpath, skidding through loose gravel.