Chapter Eight

Charlie-Now

I dribble past Adrian, before making a basket.

"Okay, you're certainly better than me", he surrenders.

A laugh escapes from my throat.

Adrian is a member of the basketball team of the high school, we have kind of become friends. We are often hanging out: playing basketball, or just talking.

He sits on the bench, too tired to continue to play. I sit beside him, and take a swallow of my water bottle before he asks:

"So, what's the deal with you and Addison?"

It almost went down the wrong way. I cough a few times before it finally passes.

"What do you mean?" I reply.

Adrian knows Addison because he has a few classes with her. But I wasn't expecting him to ask me this question. What does it even mean?

"I mean, you guys seem really close."

I feel my cheeks getting hot.

Adrian looks at me. God, I hope I didn't go THAT red.

"Aren't you? He continues, avoiding the fact that I'm blushing hard.

-I guess we are.

-You like her, don't you?"

Why are we even talking about Addison in the first place?

"Don't you want to do a few baskets? I try to change the subject, getting up.

-Charlie? You do, right?"

I stay silent.

"I won't judge you, bro. Come on, just spill it.

-Well, yeah...I kind of...

-Kind of have a crush on her?"

I look up at him.

"Why are you even interested in knowing?

-I'm interested in hearing about my friend's romance life, isn't that normal?

-Maybe, I admit as I sit beside him again.

-So?

-If I tell you, you'll tell me about yours?

-Mine...what?

-Your 'romance life'."

He laughs.

"Alright, he replies. Now tell me.

-Well, I think I... I think"

I don't know if I can say it out loud. If I do, it will make it real, make these butterflies who live in my stomach when I see her...real. All of this will become true, just by saying these few words.

"It doesn't feel right, I continue. It doesn't feel right to say it to you. No offense, Adrian. I just need to say it to HER."

He smiles:

"That's my boy, he taps me friendly on the shoulder, go for it man."

"Go now", he continues.

[One week after, Charlie goes to meet Addison in the park]

I adjust my black blazer. I'm standing in front of my full-length mirror. I sight, looking at the time on my phone. It's already 3p.m. 45. I must had gone since fifteen minutes already. But like always, I can't seem to be right on time, especially on important events like this one. I finally decide to stop looking at the mirror, imagining all possible scenarios in my head.