Three

I've never really put any thought into what my dream home would look like, how many rooms it should have or whether it should include a garden or not. All I knew was my dream home should have a large, spacious kitchen.

Just like the one in this castle.

I was stunned speechless when Ash showed us the kitchen, which didn't happen often. It was huge. Three Nellie's Bistros could fit in there and there'd still be room for that dream bakery on the side.

The original limestone walls and columns were kept authentic, as were the stone slab floors. At the far end of the room, two alcoves were dedicated to the stove tops and ovens, and I could already picture the sizzling pans and simmering sauces lining the burners. Worktops were installed around the columns, providing more than enough space for at least twenty cooks to prepare their meats and vegetables. And to the left, another counter spread down the length of the wall, slightly dusted with flour and crumbs – that had to be where the bread and pastries were made.

After Ash's tour of the kitchen, I already knew the large blue door to the right led to a pantry and, after peeking my head inside, I was pleasantly surprised to see the shelves of groceries and ingredients stretching all the way to the ceiling. The same with the walk-in cooler. I was stunned to see how many frozen foods and supplies they kept there, even more at the sight of the meats dangling from the ceiling by stainless steel hooks.

This kitchen was equipped for any occasion and for any number of staff, which explained why I couldn't wait to station my team at their own worktops so we could get to work.

"They've got a serving trolly!" Bonnie squealed when she discovered the wheeled object behind the kitchen door, polished and shining in the light streaming through the windows.

"And look at these pots," Sandra awed, holding one with both hands. "I could fit all three my children in this."

Their enthusiasm was contagious – I couldn't wait to get my hands on those pans either. But first, planning.

"Right, Ash said there'll be twelve people at dinner tonight," I began, opening my notebook on one of the worktops. "I was thinking we start them off with some bacon jam with brie and crostini. For the main course some braised Chile-marmalade duck legs with brussels sprouts, stuffed jacket sweet potatoes, and a buckwheat and farro salad. And for dessert," I turned the page before continuing, "our beloved croquembouche."

While I was talking, everyone was making their own notes, knowing the drill by now. Hamish was an expert on anything meat related, and he wasted no time heading for the cooling room to gather everything he needed.

Maisie, our floater, jumped to acquire the fruit and vegetables needed for the feast to start peeling and chopping, while Sandra stated she'll start on the crostini in the meantime. While there was nothing to serve yet, Bonnie jumped in to help Maisie with the greens to speed up the process. When that's done, I was sure the latter would start on the sauces, as she had quite a talent for that.

And as dessert, cakes, and puddings were my specialty, I busied myself with the croquembouche as it usually took around five hours to make. Checking my smartwatch, I noted we had six hours until dinner time. This would be a piece of cake.

***

I was sure by now the entire castle was filled with the aromas coming from the kitchen. It's already hard to miss for humans and their normal senses, I could only imagine how the werewolf nobles were drooling by now.

"I must say," Sandra spoke up from behind the pan of brussels sprouts she was sautéing, "I'm looking forward to this week at the castle. No husband, no kids, no laundry. It's like a vacation."