Chapter One

Aurelia

The world was draped in the quietude of dawn.

Golden sunlight shined through the dew-kissed windows, bathing the café in a warm glow like fireflies that illuminated the darkness.

The interior of the café was adorned with muted colors to create a relaxing ambiance and wooden tables with plush armchairs were arranged in cozy clusters.

The door chimed to signal someone entering and I glanced up from wiping the countertop to see a man step inside.

He had wavy dark brown hair and a defined jawline. His confident posture gave him an air of charisma.

He was wearing a black The North Face puffer jacket and blue scrubs underneath. Judging by the attire, likely a doctor catching a quick caffeine fix before a long shift.

He was preoccupied with a phone conversation and didn't notice my friendly smile as he placed his order without sparing a glance in my direction. By the time he hung up, I had finished making his black coffee.

"Here is your order," I said as I slid it across the counter to him.

When he finally looked at me, his eyes narrowed like he didn't expect a fourteen-year-old to be working behind the counter. I awkwardly shifted my weight.

"Thank you," he said, wrapping his fingers around the takeaway cup. His voice had a velvety texture, both deep and soothing. "Do you happen to know where the nearest bus station is?"

"You should see it if you walk down the street and turn left. It's about um, a two-minute walk?"

He nodded. "Alright, thanks."

With that, he stepped out onto the sidewalk, coffee in hand as he joined the rhythm of the city that began to awaken.

-----

A/N

Super excited about what I've got planned for this story! Please consider following my account and adding this book to your library/reading lists to get notified of new updates. :)