CHAPTER 6: Cafes and Conversations

SCENE: CAFE AT THE END OF THE STREET

TIME: APRIL 13TH, 10:38 AM

SETTING: TAE-RI IS CAUGHT BY SURPRISE AS SHE WALKS INTO THE CAFE TO SEE A FAMILIAR FACE.

Tae-ri: it's you from the park. What a pleasant surprise. You never told me that you run a café.

God of afterlife: You never asked.

Tae-ri: My bad.

God of afterlife: What would you like to have?

Tae-ri: One milk tea, please.

God of afterlife: Coming right away.

While the God of afterlife prepared her order, she just stared at him. He turned back to look at her and smiled at her. She immediately looked away.

God of afterlife: There you go, miss.

Tae-ri: How much does it cost?

God of afterlife: This one's on me as a gesture of gratitude for the company that day.

Tae-ri: Thanks then.

Tae-ri: Mmm...it's good, you have blessed hands.

God of afterlife: So can I assume you will be a regular here?

Tae-ri: Sure, u have my word. Oh, by the way, how do you know my name when I never mentioned it?

God of afterlife: Sorry?

Tae-ri: Back there you called out to me....

God of afterlife: I just saw the name on your ID card.

God of afterlife: Ahh...I should be more careful in the future.

Tae-ri: I see. But for the sake of formal introductions, I am Jin- Tae-ri, a sophomore student in Seoul national university. 

God of afterlife: I am Lee Jeong-ho....umm, the owner of ... Blossom café?

Tae-ri: (as she laughs) You don't have to sweat it. How come you chose this place to set up the café?

God of afterlife: I was low on cash, so this was the only place I can afford. There isn't any competition either, it is all peace. 

Tae-ri: That is true. We met just yesterday but already found something in common.

God of afterlife: What is it?

Tae-ri: We both like blossoms.

God of afterlife: Yeah, i guess.

God of afterlife: I got it from you though..

God of afterlife: By the way, I thought about what you told me. You said that you don't see lively things very often...

Tae-ri: I....I am a medical student. So I operate on bodies which are either dead or unconscious. Therefore, I said so.

God of afterlife: Oh, alright. I thought....

Tae-ri: I have to go now.

God of afterlife: Ok then, bye.

Tae-ri: Bye!

God of afterlife: She always gives out clues and ends up covering it with answers that do not seem suspicious at all. She perfectly hides her secret that I sometimes wonder, how many times has she done it before? I thought the person before me would be shallow, who fakes smiles and concern to cover her secrets but it all seems too genuine to be true....she is simply alluring.

As the God of afterlife ponders in thought, he hears the jingle of the door bells and looks up to see Tae-ri.

Tae-ri: See you tomorrow, Jeong-ho!