43. Bonding with the Enemy

Author's Note:
I feel like this chapter is a bit wordy, without much action but I also feel it's needed to lay some groundwork for what is to come.

I hope you're enjoying the story, it won't be much longer now until it is complete!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"No it won't work." Rahn shook her head.

"Do you have a better idea?" Brocht responded as he shoved a chunk of bread into his mouth.

The two were sitting across from each other within Rahn's new dwelling, a small apartment within a compound where the remaining members of the group had found refuge. They were discussing ways to dismantle what remained of the rebel group or at least figure out their plans.

"Yeah, I didn't think so." Butok said as Rahn remained quiet. "You're probably right though." He chuckled. "You tend to be right about most things."

"I haven't made it as far as I have in life by being wrong often. You best not forget that."

"Speaking of which, how is it you aren't a higher ranking guard at this point? You've been with them a long time and you've had some big achievements as of late. I'm surprised they wouldn't have promoted you after that whole poisoning ordeal. As far as I've found, they didn't even offer you any real recognition."

Rahn shrugged. "I was needed for this mission. Hard to blend in with a false identity if everyone recognizes you."

"Yes but I imagine that it will be different after this is all over."

"How so?"

Butok shrugged, not willing to share his reasoning. After a long moment of silence, he asked. "Is it hard for you?"

"What?"

"Assuming a false identity, making acquaintances and friends, lying to them the entire time. Then all of a sudden, you just walk away and resume your old life like nothing happened."

"I don't only do undercover work, you know."

"Yes, but it's a specialty of yours."

"You really have looked into my background." Rahn chuckled a bit.

"Of course." Butok shrugged and looked down at his almost empty mug.

After a moment, she spoke again. "Some parts are more difficult than others."

"After you gain more personal insight into the lives of the Qarthans you target, do you ever see them differently than you did going in?"

"It depends on the Qarthan. And it depends on what they're doing. Some things are cut and dry, and there are no excuses to condone certain actions. Some things aren't as much, and it can be easy to see why people make certain decisions. But at the end of the day, I will still do my job. Understanding why an individual makes the choices they do, and condoning those choices are two different things."

Butok nodded. "When it's all over, do you make the arrests yourself, or do you give the information to others and they take care of it?"

"Again, it all depends on the situation. But most of the time I hand over the information, then simply walk away like I was never there. Or give some kind of excuse, such as I'm moving away to the northern quadrant to live with family or something."

Butok nodded and Rahn watched him for a moment.

"When this is all over, you know I can make no promises as to the outcome for you and Plar and the others."