𝟔

ELSIE

My eyes stayed on the phone.

Ian was peacefully eating his cereal while he wiggled his shoulders at the song playing on the cartoon.

The bowl with my food stayed untouched. I couldn't eat. Not with my stomach twisting in anxiety since my last conversation with Fenix.

I didn't even sleep last night. The whole time, I stared at the ceiling, overthinking the situation I was in. Every single scenario that could happen, I already over analysed. With every little detail.

Whatever I thought of, I couldn't let myself lose everything and put Ian in a difficult situation. It was already hard for me to find the job I have now.

I went through every hardship just to get a job that will pay enough. I couldn't afford to lose it.

I doubt Nino will feel bad if he fires me. He knows about my state of living but I'm sure he doesn't care.

Fenix's proposal sounded good if you looked at it from a point of view where you were not involved in it. Ian and I get to live comfortably for the rest of our lives even though I had to endure living with a stranger and play his wife.

It was the thought of Ian having a better future than the one I have.

He would be able to go to a good college and get a good job.

"I'll make a quick call and then you'll get dressed, okay?" I said to Ian and he nodded his head. He was almost done with his cereal and I had to hurry up.

Taking hold of the phone, I stood up from the chair and walked to the bathroom. I locked the door behind me and let out a long breath.

Okay this was it.

It was now or never. I took out the card from my pocket and tapped the phone number on the screen.

After a minute of gathering myself, I pressed on the green button and brought the device to my ear. I paced the small bathroom while I waited for him to pick up.

It was early in the morning but I didn't care. He himself said that I should calm him first thing in the morning today.

After a few seconds, he picked up.

"Good morning, Elsie." Why did I doubt that he would have my phone number? Also I wouldn't really call this morning good.

I cleared my throat and bit my lip.

"Hello." The words got stuck in my mouth but I had to say it somehow.

Fenix waited for my answer.

"Um... I made my decision. I agree to your deal but I have to see the contract. And also set some rules myself." Without seeing the contract there was no way I was going to sign my life to him. Many people got fooled that way and I was going to do my best not to be in that group.

Who knows what he can put in there?

I also had some rules that I wanted to add. He can't just trap me in the marriage without me saying anything.