𝟏

ELSIE

"Eli, please help me with this." Ian whined. His bottom lip jutted out and he looked at me with his dark brown eyes that made my heart swell.

The dark messy hair on his head was all over the place and I should definitely cut it short soon. It was bothering him. It was visible.

"Okay." I said and walked towards him. I had tons of work to do but helping him with his homework was more important. Ian was first grade and was already passionate about his work for school. He only had to do some drawing but still needed me there.

I pushed his hair back from his forehead and placed a kiss on his temple. He smile widened, one of his tooth missing. He cried a lot when it fell off but then reassured me that he was good because he was a big boy now.

He was only six years old but already knew too much.

I lowered myself on the wooden chair next to him and looked down at the paper. He was drawing a house and there was two small figures.

"Can you help me color the house. I'll color you and I." He swung his legs and looked at up at me.

"Okay buddy. Let's get to work." He giggled and handed me the brown colour. I grabbed the pen and started scrabbling on the paper. Ian was very talented and pride beamed in my chest every time his teacher praised him.

It meant I was somehow doing a good job at raising him.

Two years ago when my sister arrived at my door, I didn't expect that I'll be the one to take care of Ian. He was the smallest and cutest little human.

Sally was an addict together with her boyfriend, Ian's dad. They couldn't take care of him and as much as she was a careless person, I'm happy she realised that Ian didn't deserve that life. It was hard, taking the role as his mom but I had to do it. We had no one else to rely on.

My grandparents who raised us died few years ago and I didn't even knew where our parents were.

When Aidan, my older brother died, they were not the same. It felt like they detached themselves from me and Sally.

While I continued with my college, Sally sadly fell into depression. She didn't continue her studies and got pregnant with Ian.

I tried my best to help her but Sally was not listening to anyone. Our grandparents tried everything to guide her on the right path but nothing helped her.

The addiction sucked her in and Sally was no longer my bright young sister that I use to braid her hair when she was going to school. She was no longer the girl that giddily told me about her new crushes and her passion about sports.

She was not there anymore.

"I made a new friend at school." Ian brought me back from my thoughts and I realised that I have stopped colouring his drawing. Before he was able to notice, I quickly continued.

"Really? What is their name?"

"Macy. She's very pretty and I really like her."

"Oh... what do you like about her?" I grinned down at him and nudged his shoulder with mine. His cheeks blushed and he grabbed another marker.