Chapter 10: Me Before You

———A S H E R———

Days continued to pass without sight of my mate.

The only people we would see behind these bars were the nasty guards and each other.

Adam mostly kept quiet, the only words coming from his mouth were those to Aaliyah and even those were kept short.

Aaliyah talked to me sometimes, her bubbly personality slowly dying as we continued to rot down here.

I leaned my head back against the wall, inhaling deeply when I touched my side by mistake.

All three of us knew it was most likely infected, and all three of us knew it wouldn't heal anytime soon, not while we were down here.

Every time I moved it sent a sharp pain throughout my body, every time I got up from the concrete floor to use the rusty toilet in the corner it sent a sharp pain throughout my body, every time I tried to growl at that one guard who wouldn't leave Aaliyah alone it sent a sharp pain throughout my body.

Adam still got up when the guard disrespected Aaliyah, he even reached out of the bars to try to scratch him.

All for her.

Aaliyah had given up on trying to make her mate leave the guard alone because she knew her mate wouldn't stop trying to defend her.

She hit the jackpot with Adam. She had a loving mate that would do anything for her while my mate keeps me locked in a cell day and night.

I winced as I shifted in my spot, trying to ignore the pain that flooded me.

" Is it getting worse? " I heard a soft voice speak.

I looked over at who the voice came from, my eyes softening as my eyes met Aaliyah's.

She was lying on Adam's lap, curled into a ball as Adam played with her hair.

He raised his head once he realized Aaliyah and I were talking, his gaze no longer focused on Aaliyah's knotted dark hair.

I've realized he tries to help her detangle it by brushing it with his fingers. It was sweeter than sweet.

" No " I lied, forcing a smile.

" Let me see " I heard Adam say, smiling down at Aaliyah before asking her to get up.

She quickly got up before leaning against the wall besides where Adam and her were previously laying. Her back was soon pressed against the cold concrete wall as she brought her legs up to her chest.

She looked at Adam as he walked over to me, her lips pressed together as he kneeled in front of me.

" I'm fine " I tried to say as I started to push his hands away, failing miserably because in less than a minute he grabbed ahold of the shirt fabric and lifted it up.

I sighed as I looked away, my gaze focused on the guard walking outside of our cell.

" Asher, this is bad "  He determined, poking his finger against the inflamed skin surrounding the deep cut.

I hissed as he pressed against it, pushing him back before pulling my shirt down.

He looked at me with a straight face as Aaliyah looked at me with pity.

I haven't had the courage to look at it for the past few days, but I knew by the way Adam's eyes were studying me that it was bad.

" I can't do anything about it " I said shrugging, adverting my eyes to the floor in front of me. " and it's not like I'm going to die from- "

" You were stabbed with silver, weren't you? " I heard Aaliyah ask.

" If you were stabbed with silver you know it's not going to heal normally, it's going to heal as it would if you were a human " Adam explained.

" I know " I sighed, my gaze stuck to the floor Adam was standing on. " Just drop it, please "

Adam didn't comment any further, he simply sat down beside Aaliyah and took her hand into his.

I looked up when I heard Aaliyah huff, pulling her hand away from Adam's as she stood on her feet.

I furrowed my eyebrows as she walked to the thick steel bars, grabbing two bars as she stood on her tippy toes.

Adam and I watched as she looked around outside of the bars, both of us jumping to our feet when she started to yell.

" Hey! " She screamed when she saw the nasty guard walking towards our cell, probably to make disgusting comments about Aaliyah again.

I groaned as I jumped to my feet, my vision slightly blurry as I leaned against the wall to regain some of my energy.

I had anticipated to get her away from the nasty guard but as soon as I stood, it felt like all my energy suddenly disappeared.

I squinted as I watched Adam grab Aaliyah from behind, holding his hand over her mouth.

She struggled in Adam's grasp, trying to pry his hand off his mouth.

" What do you need, sweetheart? " The guard smirked, standing in-front of our cell with a devious look in his eye.

Adam growled at him but before he could say anything, Aaliyah finally pulled Adam's hand far away enough so that we could hear what she was saying.

" He needs help " She said, still struggling in Adam's grip.

" Why the fuck would I help a filthy rogue? " The guard said in a disgusting tone, his eyes turning to me once Aaliyah had managed to point to me.

" Please " Aaliyah begged as Adam reluctantly let go of her, his eyes narrowed as he looked at the guard.

I didn't have enough energy to tell Aaliyah that I'm fine, I didn't even have enough energy to stand up straight.

Energy continued to flow out of me as I slid down the concrete wall, my eyes close to closing for a much needed nap.

" ...I'll go get my Alpha " I heard the guy say " Then we can talk about when we can get some alone time " I forced my eyes to stay open a little while longer, watching as Aaliyah cringed away from the guard.

I heard a loud growl fill our small cell and it must've been minutes before I realized it came from Adam.

" I will gladly kill you with my bare hands " Adam growled, pushing Aaliyah behind him. " Don't talk to her like that "

" How are you gonna kill me while you're stuck in there, tough guy? "

" I don't know but you'll have to face me before you face her so run along and get your alpha "

The guard just scoffed before walking away from the three of us, his eyes darting to my figure on the floor before he went away.

I watched Adam turn around a minute later, immediately taking Aaliyah into his arms as he mumbled something along the lines of 'It will always be Me Before You'.

———