Chapter 8

Hours must have passed before the door opened once more. Bright light flooded the basement where I remained huddled in the corner. I squint my eyes at the bright light which now invades the darkened room. I watch as Ryan slowly walks down the stairs, holding something in his hand. When he gets closer, I notice he is holding a bowl. Excitement washes over me and with a burst of energy, I stand up ready to grab the bowl of food from his hand. But as I walk closer, legs shaking, I quickly turn away in disgust. He is holding a bowl of meat. My eyes shimmer with unshed tears as I stare at the ground disappointed. My body is yelling at me, telling me to eat something. But I can't do it. I refuse.

"Valerie, you need to eat," He spoke softly, his hand resting on my shoulder. The bowl once again found its way to my line of sight, but the thought alone made me sick.

"No, I can't. I can't eat that." My voice sounded weak, even to me. I felt so lost.

"You'll get sick if you don't eat." He sounded so sweet. So caring.

"I'll get sick if I do eat that. I refuse." Somehow, I managed to find some form of strength to put behind my words while I remained turned away from him. I can feel him sigh, the hair on my neck moving slightly before his warmth leaves me. I can hear his footsteps climbing up the stairs and soon the light is gone once again. Somehow tears manage to find their way to me, although they quickly stop as I realise, I have none left. Hunger is now not my only companion, thirst is too. I should have remembered to ask him for water, but I just couldn't. I hate him. Sitting back down on the ground where I previously stood, I couldn't help but think of Mum's cooking. Personally, I don't like cooking much, but I do like baking. If only she were here, she wouldn't let me go hungry like this. She wouldn't lock me up in a dark basement. She is kind and caring. The opposite of Ryan.

How long has it been since I had a proper meal? It was quarter past 3 when I got on the bus, it must have been early evening when we had arrived at this place and several more hours as people continued to arrive. Then many hours must have passed, the next evening most likely when Ryan chose our little group. And then I finally got to sleep, refused his breakfast, and could this have been lunch, or dinner perhaps? I had that meat to eat, but I threw that up just as quickly, so it didn't help settle the hunger within me. And this thirst, my mouth is so dry. All I want is some nice cool water to quench this thirst. Maybe if I sleep, I'll discover this was all a dream. I'll be back in my own bed back home. Yeah, let's sleep. And that is exactly what I did.

~

The next time that I woke up I found a glass of water and again a bowl of meat. I greedily drank the water and glanced at the bowl before throwing it across the room screaming out in complete and utter frustration. Anger burning. But just as soon as it flared up, I crumbled down into tears. At least I had something to drink. Blissful sleep soon found me again.

~

Days must have passed like this. I wonder how long it's been. Sometimes I see Ryan, sometimes I just find what he leaves behind, a bowl of meat and sometimes a glass of water. I feel so tired, constantly tired. But I also feel dirty and disgusting. I have started using the empty bucket down here as a toilet. But there is not much considering I hardly get to drink, and eating is out of the question. But as the hunger stabs my stomach repeatedly, I can't help but wonder if I should just take him up on his offer. I'd get to have food again and end this nightmare. I could ask him for a shower and some clean clothes, something to drink too. But these clothes are the only reminder of home I have left. I don't want new clothes; I want my family. I can hear the lock and soon the door is opened, and light fills the room once more. I squint my eyes as I watch the figure walk down the stairs. The light illuminated his dark skin. Ryan sits down beside me, a tray now placed on the floor before us. I stare from him to the plate towards the glass of water and back to him. With a shaky hand, I reach over to grab the glass, but I can't stop shaking. The strength in my hand is barely there and I realise in complete and utter defeat I can't lift it to drink. I feel so lonely and weak. Again, I try to pick up the glass, but just like before I am unable to lift it and so I drop my hand back to the dirty floor. I feel disgusting.

Feeling his hand brush over my cheek I turn to face him, even though he put me here he's been kind to me. I watch as he grabs the glass of water lifting it. No that's my water! Don't take it away from me! I need that, it's mine! And just as I'm about to voice those thoughts in my hoarse voice, he lifts the glass up to my lips. I gratefully take a long sip from the glass, swallow and go for another sip. He continues to hold the glass, helping me drink. Eventually, the glass is empty, and he places it back on the tray. I watch as he reaches into the bowl and takes a piece of meat from it. He holds it out before me waiting for me to take it. But I cannot, can I? But I'm so hungry. My stomach grumbles loudly as the smell invades my nostrils.

"Valerie, you need to eat, once you do you can come out. But you need to finish the whole bowl." His voice is sweet yet stern at the same time. I swallow some saliva in my mouth as I turn my attention back towards the bowl. can I do it? Eat the meat? I'm so hungry. I need food. I get to leave this place, out of the basement.

"But eating the bowl will be too hard for my teeth." I manage to whisper out, a small smile on my lips as I turn to Ryan. He too has a smile and suddenly any fear I may have had leaves. He brings up the piece of meat in his hand and as the smell invaded my nose, as the thought of this being human left my mind, I happily ate what he offered me. The taste is wonderful in my mouth. This was a true blessing. The meat had such a wonderful taste that I couldn't stop eating it. Piece after piece I devoured until the bowl was all empty. With my stomach full and a smile on my lips I closed my eyes, exhaustion winning once again. But I can still feel him holding my limp body, cuddling me to his chest as he walks. And then darkness surrounds me. 

--------

https://print.24bookprint.com/dinjahoitink