Chapter 3

I stay frozen in my seat as I stare the gunman in the eyes, afraid to look away for I know what will come. He's going to shoot me like he promised he'd do. I can feel my cheeks getting wet, unable to stop the tears. But still, I remain frozen in place. My mind racing, wondering if I should be pleading for my life or make myself invisible in hopes he would let me live. After several moments of silence and staring at the man while he reads my message, and probably my dad's answer by now, he starts talking.

"Little Miss here thought it would be a good idea to tell Daddy all that's happening. Well too bad he won't ever find you." I quietly watch him throw my phone to the floor, surprisingly not breaking. He continues to stomp on the phone several times until it's completely totalled with no way of working ever again. I stifle a cry as I know there is no way to contact Dad or any of my family now.

"Now, what did I say would happen to anyone who disobeyed me?" He was met with silence, no one dared to answer. He turned his eyes back over to me, burning with anger.

"What did I say?" He sneered as he looked down at me.

"Please, please don't kill me, I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry," I pathetically whimper out. I don't want to die, there is still so much I want to do with my life.

"No. No, I won't kill you." Relief flows through my body followed by fear as I wonder what will happen to me if not killed. But this illusion is quickly shattered as he continues talking. "I think they will enjoy killing you themselves, little miss." I stare at him petrified. I'm too young to die! I can feel my lip tremble in fear as I stare into the man's cold eyes. Why couldn't I just miss this bus? If only I had taken a little longer to leave the hospital, then I wouldn't be in this situation right now. Then I would have cursed in frustration as I realised I had missed the bus while I waited and eventually arrived home safely. Would the bus even have shown up though?

"Alright, seeing as none of you can be trusted I need you all to hand over your phones. If you're smart, you'll do so without complaining. I'm not afraid to shoot." I silently watched him turn away from me and face the other passengers who had remained silent during our exchange. Using my hands, I wiped my eyes, holding my head down. I hope Dad finds me before it's too late. I wish I could have sent one last message, telling him that I love him and everyone else. But even with the text I had sent, I know the chance of being found and rescued is slim and becoming smaller by the second. It was minuscule at this point.

The man moved quickly through the bus with a plastic bag as he collected each person's phone. Some were too scared to disobey and immediately gave him their phone, while others, like the yelling man from before, were hesitant. The yelling man even went as far as to kick the gunman in the stomach while he tried to make a run for the front of the bus. But he didn't make it far. A loud BANG sounded through the near-silent bus followed by several high-pitched screams, including one of my own, as my hands shot up to my mouth in shock. I watched wide-eyed as the man collapsed to the floor with a loud agony-filled scream.

Terrified, I remained in my seat, having a good view of the man writhing in agony on the floor beside me. I can see the blood pooling around him from his leg. The gunman didn't have the intention of killing, I realise in shock. He wants every last one of us to suffer and make us beg for mercy. Make us beg for death? Where are we going? He had mentioned that 'they' would enjoy killing me. Who are 'they'? What is their plan? Why us?

The man was forcefully pulled up by the neck and pushed back into his seat where the gunman once again asked for the phone, his gun still in hand pointed towards his stomach this time. I could only watch as the man pulled his phone out of his pocket and shakily handed it over. I can tell he is desperately trying to hold back his tears, but I can still see a few lone tears rolling down his face. I can only imagine how painful a gun wound would be.