Chapter 27

As soon as Rudra opened the door, he focused on a person in front of the mirror wearing a watch. She turned upon hearing the door open, and his eyes stayed fixed on her.

She was in a simple gray saree.

"What? Why are you staring like that?" She asked.

"First, tell me, are we going to a relative's place for lunch or dinner?" He asked out of nowhere.

"No, why?" She said, confused.

"Then why are you wearing this saree?" He inquired.

"What's wrong with this saree?" She asked, checking herself in the mirror.

"Saree me koi problem nahi hai but wear something casual na, we're going for movie not at maa ki chachi ke mama ki beti ki bua ke ghare khana khane, just be comfortable" he suggested
(There's nothing wrong with the saree, but wear something casual. We're going to a movie, not to someone's house for a family meal. Just be comfortable)

"I'm comfortable in it," she replied.

"Hann fir pure time pallu aur plits thik karti rehna" he tonted
(Fine, then keep adjusting the pallu and pleats the whole time)

"But maa-papa, i mean..." she was saying but hered sunaina from outside."Aren't you ready yet?"

"Just getting ready, Maa. By the way, Maa, if Vaidehi wears jeans or dresses, do you guys have any problem?" He asked straightforwardly.

"Kya bak rahe hai..." Vaidehi said, clutching his shirt from behind as she was slightly behind him.
(What nonsense)

"You be quiet for two minutes. Mom, you tell," he said, turning towards her and then towards his mother.

"Look, maa, she's thinking that if she'll wear those kinds of dresses so you papa or dadu dadi won't like that.. see, we're going for a movie, and she's wearing saree jiska pallu bhi thik se nahi sambhala jana isse tin ghante, " he said and vaidehi shook his head

Sunaina suppressed her smile and approached Vaidehi, cupping her cheek. She said, "Remember, you're the daughter of this house, not a daughter-in-law, okay?" Vaidehi smiled slightly and nodded.

"And beta, it doesn't matter what you wear. A person is identified by their heart, not their clothes, right? 

Vaidehi smiled little and nodded

"Aur hum kya tumhe jante nahi hai," she said softly

"Bilkul nahi," Rudra said slowly
(Not at all)

What did you say?" Sunaina asked Rudra.

"I-I mean, that's what I was saying. Understand this," Rudra said, trying to cover up.

"We never said anything to Aashi till now. Why do you think we would say something to you?" Sunaina reassured.

"No, Maa, it's not like that. I mean..." Vaidehi said, uncertain of what to say.

"Wear whatever makes you comfortable, okay? No need to think about others, alright?" Sunaina advised, and Vaidehi smiled, giving her a quick hug and saying, "Thank you, Maa."

"Stay happy always, and keep this nalayak (troublemaker) too," Sunaina said, looking at Rudra.

"It's a bit difficult, but I'll try," Vaidehi replied, and both laughed, leaving Rudra glaring at them. When Sunaina added, "You are right, actually."

"Sab sunai de raha hai mujhe," Rudra said, faking anger
(I'm hearing everything)

"I'm hearing everything," Rudra said, faking anger.