𝟎𝟏𝟗. trapped in the penthouse

chapter nineteen
trapped in the penthouse

Coriolanus's intimidating presence filled the room. "What are you two talking about?"

Avery scrambled for words, but Tigris was able to respond quicker. "Nothing important."

Coriolanus didn't seem to buy the lie, but he didn't ask any further questions. He adjusted his tie and smiled at Tigris.

"What do you think of the new look, Tigris?"

Her lips trembled as she stared into the eyes of her lost cousin. "I think you look just like your father, Coriolanus."

He nodded in thanks before moving closer to Avery. "I have something for you."

Avery looked up at his tall figure curiously. "What is it?"

He pulled out a pendant necklace from his pocket and before she could examine it, he looked at her for approval. "May I?"

Avery nodded. Coriolanus adjusted the necklace on her neck, and she looked down to see a white rose pendant resting against her pale skin.

She looked at in awe. Tigris stood further from them, shaking her head in disproval. Neither one of them could see her though.

"Av, you wouldn't ever think about leaving me, would you?" he asked sweetly.

Avery looked at him in horror. How would he know that Tigris and her were just speaking of that very topic?

He's hard to read. Is he good or evil? Should Avery stay or go?

"No," Avery said in a slight lie.

"Good, my rose. I'm going to go take a shower, I'll see you soon."

Coriolanus left satisfied. Avery's fingers played with the rose hanging from her necklace. It was really beautiful.

Tigris sighed. "Sometimes when I see him with you, I think he's still the same person as before. Please don't let him fool you."

Avery didn't know what to do. Tigris has known Coriolanus her whole life, so she would know what she's talking about.

"Where would I go?"

"I don't know, just away from him."

Avery, who is convinced very easily, nodded. "I can leave while he's showering."

Tigris came closer. "Good idea." She surprisingly embraced Avery. "I really like you, Avery. He doesn't deserve you," Tigris whispered.

"If I really do get out of here, I'll miss you, Tigris."

"I'll miss you too."

Avery sighed. She didn't really have anything to grab aside from the millions of gifts Coriolanus has gotten her. And she doesn't have enough time to pack a bag.

She left her room in a hurry, preparing to leave the Snow penthouse.

"Where do you think you're going?"

Avery stopped in her tracks at the sound of the deep voice. She turned around and almost fainted at the sight in front of her.

Coriolanus was shirtless, and his hair was soaked. Small water droplets dropped down his neck. He wore pants, but Avery couldn't help but admiringly gawk at the sight of his build.

God. He could have at least dried himself off and put on a shirt before confronting her. Or maybe he did it on purpose.

"Just into the living room."

He chuckled, making his way toward her in the dark hallway. "I really can tell when you lie."

Coriolanus studied Avery. He knew exactly what she was trying to do. He heard Tigris warning her of his ways, which he believes to be clear propaganda.

He tried to match his last name with hers. Avery Spade. Avery Snow. In his mind, he imagined her finally realizing who she is and who she belongs to.

And she would realize that the Hunger Games are necessary. He can't have a rebel beside him if he is to become a Gamemaker and eventually president of Panem.

When the time comes, would Avery be suitable as a First Lady? Coriolanus stared at the rose pendent against her clear and smooth skin. A token of his on her.

She has everything and he has everything. Everything is perfect. Why must Avery be so stubborn and want to wreck everything?

Was the lesson he taught her in the woods not enough?

Coriolanus stepped closer until she was corned. He noticed how her small figure tensed up when his tall and menacing self began to close the space between them.

"My rose, when will you learn that you have no life left besides the Capitol?"

She was silent. "Who are you without me? What do you have left without the Snow name? Tell me, Avery, do you really desire me the way I desire you?"

Coriolanus waited for her answer hungrily and impatiently. The man Avery faced was completely different than the one was rescued by in District 12.

Avery didn't want to love him anymore. But people can't help who they love sometimes. It makes her sick to the stomach to imagine Coriolanus sending kids into the Hunger Games willingly and thoughtlessly.

Then she imagined him by her side. She would be betraying the people of her district by helping him make Panem a worse place.

All of these thoughts were clouded by the loud whispering of her heart. "I love you, Coryo."

He sensed the conflict within her. "Don't fight it. I love you too."

Is it love? Or is it obsession?

Tigris could hear them from the other room; they have no idea how loud they truly are. She also really questioned why Coriolanus chose to do this straight out of the shower.

Coriolanus tucked a strand of hair behind her ear before escaping to his room to get fully changed. He loved the shocked expression on Avery's face when he showed his bare chest in front of her. She's seen him like that once before at the lake, but it still seemed to make her in awe.

If only Avery could see how he looked at her sometimes. Without her, he'd be insane. She's the sane part of him whispering to be a good man. Even Avery isn't strong enough to stop Snow's thirst for power. In a way, she encourages it because Coriolanus likes to have power over her.

Coriolanus still smelt of roses, despite just showering. Roses were scattered everywhere, and he knew that his aroma was rubbing off on Avery too.

He was growing skeptical of Avery's loyalty. She tried to leave him and possibly sympathize with the districts again. If she's going to be Capitol, she has to stay loyal to the Capitol.

Why would she ever want to go back to a place like District 12? Coriolanus can give her anything she wants. If Avery wants to sit on a throne of jewels, she will.

And maybe one day when he's president, she will.

University studies, Hunger Games... who cares? As long as he's in power with Avery by his side at all times, everything is how it needs to be.

Snow lands on top.