27. Like a soothing to my aches

Kuhoo :

Finishing the heavy dinner we took an exit after exchanging pleasantries with Rahul and his family. As we were walking towards our vehicle, a flash of light made me close my eyes abruptly and I was certain a headache was on the way.

"What happened?" Mahil questioned.

"Nothing," shaking the head I continued walking.

And then it happened in a blink of an eye, a man wearing skates snatched my chain right from the neck and ran away with his partner.

"Hey, hey," I shouted and attempted to scurry behind them but my heels didn't support and I slipped. Mahil quickly grabbed my waist forbidding the mighty fall and I released a shaky breath.

Standing back straight, I mumbled, "My... My chain."

He looked worriedly between me and the thieves twice before saying "Stay here."

Mahil ran behind them making me stand close to his car. How was I to let him follow the goons alone? So, throwing my heels near the car I made a hasty retreat in the same direction. But soon I realized it wasn't a cakewalk to run in a lehenga with bangles and other jewelry.

I lost them.

I stood in the middle of a dark alley, unsure of the direction taken by them. A huge lump formed in my throat as I shouted his name but no reply came. What did I do?

Dialing his contact number, I scanned the surrounding looking for any traces of him. Mahil wasn't picking up the phone and that added more to my worries.

"Oh God, please let him be okay," I mumbled staring at the dark night sky, running faster holding the ends of my lehenga without caring about how looks thrown by people in my direction until I reached a well-lit street.

There he was near a huge tree, arm flexed around one thief's neck while the other one was trying to get his partner free.

Resting both my palms on the knees, I bent a little catching some breath. What in the world was this man doing? He was no James bond to fight with goons.

"Mahil," I screamed when one of the thieves attacked his head with a skate board.

I sighed as he moved back getting alert in time.

"Kuhoo, I asked you to stay near the car," He began to vociferate loudly turning towards me and this time before I could call out the thief attacked his shoulder with the board.

For a second Mahil lost his balance due to effect of the jab. He steadied himself but a weak painful whisper left his mouth and that made me lose my mind. Holding the sides of my handbag, I ambushed the same thief, arms moving vigorously, one after another before he could recover from the earlier jab.

Mahil punched the side of his jaw so hard that the corner of his lips started bleeding. Scared, his partner threw the chain in our direction before they ran away.

Forwarding the silver chain in my direction, Mahil mumbled, "Why did you come here? I asked you to stay there, right?"

My insides irked at his words, legs moving on their own accord stepping too close to him. I didn't realize when the purse fell and my hands flung in air hitting his shoulders making him step back, "Seriously Mahil? How could you be so irresponsible?"

He tried to say something but I didn't let him instead hit his shoulders once again, "They could have had guns. What if they attacked you with a gun?"

He was about to reply when I slapped his chest with both my palms arching my neck to get a closer look at his face, "Did you even think this through when you decided to be a James bond in the middle of an unknown alley, disappearing from my sight in no time? What in the world were you thinking? Why didn't you pick up my calls? You could have been arrested for God's sake."