3. The Drive

Mahil had no idea what he was up to

Driving through the directions by reading the google map, he shook his head looking at the busy streets. Chicago had given him so much. After his parents, LA never felt like home. He had nowhere else to go but it killed him to exist in the same house where his parents had died and he... had survived.

The two years he spent there alone had been painstakingly slow and suffocating. Then the scholarship happened, and it was just the thing he needed in life. He arrived empty-handed back then, but Chicago gave him everything, a force to move forward in life, a career as choreographer and a house of his own.

Mahil's eyes moved to the woman sleeping peacefully in the passenger seat. Beautiful long hair covered a side of her face cascading down the chest that moved with her breathing. Smudged kohl painted the corner of her eye. There was a tinge of red on the wheat-white cheeks probably a reflection of the dress or maybe it was alcohol in her system. Red was totally her color though because that lipstick complemented her soft lips in an attractive way.

Kuhoo stirred rubbing the orbs and found him staring at her. Mahil immediately focused back on the road. She didn't strike a conversation, just slid the window to let fresh air in and stared at the world this vehicle was leaving behind.

He looked at her again on hearing a chuckle. The sight in front was breathtakingly gorgeous. Her hair danced in air, eyes closed as if absorbing touch of wind, parted lips aiding the slight ragged breathing. An unearthly glow beautified her face. Didn't she look terrible a few moments back? What was wrong with him though? Why was he shamelessly checking her out? No, he wasn't, right? It was plain observation. He was just checking on her, not checking out, probably. Well except for the red of her lips.

"What happened?" He asked.

"I don't know. My head feels funny," She chuckled again and shoved her face outside the car window. Then she moved a little, more and more outside through the window while laughter continued.

"Hey, don't do that. You'll hurt yourself," He shouted and she chortled.

"Kuhoo, sit back properly and tie the seatbelt. Just a few minutes more," He softly tried to convince her but she was in no mood to listen to anyone. So when the woman beside him attempted to stand on the car seat only to slip and fall back, Mahil pulled the brakes. "I told you," He pressed the lips in a thin line as she held her head which seemed to move in circles.

"It feels like there is a whole tornado inside my head," She muttered.

"I didn't know that the market finally got an alcohol brand that works like a coffee helping your body and mind to work faster." He glared making her feel confused. It had started getting to him. The more he thought about her being alone in this state, the more he felt peace leaving his body.

"What does that even mean?" She let out a growl.

"I mean, you're drunk. It's obvious that your head moves in circles. Why did you even drink when you couldn't handle it? What if someone else got the hold of you? What if it wasn't me?" He shouted, vulnerability peeked through his thick voice.

Waves of irritation passed down his body. It was so unlike his usual behavior. What was he doing? How could he scold a stranger with such authority? What if it wasn't him?! For God's sake, they only met a few hours back.

Kuhoo pouted, flattering her eyelashes, palms resting on his cheeks, "But it wasn't anyone else. It was you with me."

Her words did something to his heart and it started beating loudly. The woman responsible for it seemed unfazed and was again trying to stand on the seat. Mahil sighed making her sit properly. He took the seatbelt and moved forward to fix it, eyes only on the work in hand.

No he didn't notice the curve of her waist, or the way dress had folded above the level of knees giving a peak of her milky thigh, or how her chest heaved so close to his head as he bend to latch the belt in its socket. Apart from the smell of alcohol, he could inhale a scent of sandalwood mixed with sweat from her. She was a living, breathing mixture of intoxication, completely unaware of her effect on him. He tried breathing normally paying attention to the simple work that was taking more time than required. But he moment her palm held on to his shoulder, Mahil's breath hitched and the seatbelt slipped out of his hands. "Why did you help me?" She mumbled.

"Why did you say that you trust me?" His hand automatically found its way to her hair that appeared tangled due to the stunt she had pulled sometime back. Oh he had wanted to do that since the very moment he had laid his eyes on this woman. Her beautiful black hair reminded him of his mother. His thumb traced corner of her lips, palm resting on that soft cheek. Mahil's orbs flickered to her red lips and stared back into the pair of emerald eyes, "Do you? Trust me?"

She closed the eyes. In a swift movement he moved forward, hands settling on small of her back, eyes fluttering close as their lips were about to meet. Then it happened, suddenly he was pushed back with a force only to hear her scream, "Stay away from me, Adi. No, I don't. I don't trust you. I hate you. I hate -"

Kuhoo opened her orbs, mind jumbling between the flashes of past and present, heart trying to fight a long lost battle. She didn't get much time to react as he apologized the next second.

"I'm sorry. I probably got a wrong hint. Let me drop you and I'll be out of your head." Mahil regretted his actions. What had he been thinking, trying to kiss a woman who wasn't even in her senses? It was ridiculous. She probably held on to his shoulder for support which he had mistaken for something else.

Soon they were driving in the vicinity of the Parker Street, standing in front of a huge twelve storeyed building in a few minutes. "This is your apartment?" He shot her a surprised look.

"Alright, thank you for everything. I'll see you around someday," Kuhoo nodded sliding the car door and sauntering in the direction of the lift with a staggering gait.

Mahil stared at her retreating figure. For a second he wondered if that was how he had liked the flat at first sight, if she was the vibe that had hit him that day. He wasn't there in the club to pick a woman, then why had he offered her something that wasn't there on his mind? She was the drunken one, then why did he feel fuzzy on listening to her 'I trust him'? How come his mouth had moved in her direction on its own? Shaking his head he whispered, "We'll probably be meeting more often than you think."

----------------------------------------------

Vote and comment!

Inline comments would be love!

Do add the story to your reading list for getting update notifications.