Chapter 27

The next morning, the Duchess summoned me to her office, where there was no one but her.

"Edith. I hear you've had a hard time."

"I've had no hardships. I've made myself comfortable in my room."

"Hardships of the mind are harder than hardships of the body."

I couldn't deny the words.

The tip of my nose twitched for no reason, and I took a deep breath.

"Just so you know, I really didn't steal the documents, and I'm willing to bet my life on it."

The Duchess nodded quietly.

"I know you won't believe me, and I don't care if I get more probation, I really don't–"

"Edith."

Her warm hand grasped mine.

"I believe you. I do believe in you."

Oh, God.

Hearing those words in this situation makes me burst into tears......

"Ha...... sob......"

"I know how hard it's been for you, Edith."

"No one believed me......"

"I do believe you. I know you've done your best to help me, I know you're trying to fit in somehow in this house. How can I not know that? I've been through it all before......"

She understood me from the perspective of a fellow daughter-in-law.

It was a big part of her life too, being married and living in a house she didn't know, trying to fit in and be liked somehow.

"I don't know who played this nasty prank on you, but I do know it wasn't you."

"Sob, sob, t- thank you......"

Tears streamed down my face as I was overcome with emotion at the first "understanding" I'd gotten since falling into this shitty world.

I wanted to respond in a more mature way, but the tears wouldn't stop and I couldn't breathe, as if there was a malfunction somewhere.

As I sobbed like a child, clinging to the hand patting me on the back, I thought of one hope.

'Maybe...... the Duchess will believe me.'

The Duchess will believe me if I tell her about my situation in the Riegelhoff family. And she won't kick me out.

If at least one person understands me, I might be able to get through this, so I decided to tell her.

"Mother. I- I...... actually......"

"Yes, Edith."

"In the Riegelhoff family...... I actually......!"

"......Edith?"

"Ugh, ugh......"

"Edith! What's wrong? Edith!"

It really was strange.

Just as I was about to blurt out my predicament, my breath caught in my throat and my vision blurred.

My tongue wouldn't move, tinnitus struck me, my head hurt like it was going to burst, and then suddenly everything stopped and I was engulfed in darkness.

A moment later, from somewhere in the darkness, I heard a voice, clean and emotionless, like an announcer on the morning news.

[Edith Riegelhoff can not reveal hidden settings about herself until she meets......]