hate (love) you

*ੈ✩‧₊˚ *ೃ༄

    you couldn't have been further from the boy if you tried. and trust, you did try. your arms were crossed over your chest in a huff, your ears grew red with anger, and the fists your hands made were so tight that your nails were establishing little crescents on your palm. you could barely even so much as look at matt.

"oh, so now you're not gonna talk to me," matt said, gripping the steering wheel so tight that his knuckles turned white. he huffed, "great."

    all you could manage to do was roll your eyes, chewing on the inside of your cheek, trying so incredibly, painstakingly hard to not nail matt in the jaw. it was pretty tough not to slap him with how he was acting right now. he huffed again, while you just continued looking out the window.

wouldn't it be everybody's dream to live with their best friend? the ultimate fantasy that is always planned, but never actually happens? it surely had been your dream with matt, nick, and chris. and the four of you made that a reality. so why had it become so increasingly difficult to be around matt after only a mere few months?

    you and nick were fine. you'd still sneak up to nicks room late at night and gossip till the sun came up, or until one of you fell asleep. he would run errands with you, binge tv shows with you, and rot on the couch some days with you. nick was still your best companion, even more so now since you moved in with him. you were also fine with chris. chris would come on hikes with you all the time, and he was the first person you would ask to accompany you on any sort of outdoor activity that required a companion. he'd play mario kart with you (and also shit on you for how bad you were), and he'd always, always, always give the best advice when you needed it. chris felt like the best brother you never had, and the one you never knew you needed. but matt on the other hand... recently you couldn't stand him.

    it was the little things that would set you off. it was when he'd take the last can of your soda, or when he'd leave the bathroom all messy before you used it. even down to the way did your laundry. your patience was consistently hanging by a thread. every single tiny thing set the two of you off, like ticking time bombs ready to explode, unknowing of when it would happen or how it would happen. it just always did, and it drove you both crazy.

    since matt was the only one out of his brothers who could drive, he'd often gotten into the habit of picking you up from work. it was a usual occurrence, so nothing new. but today, the aux in the car didn't work.

    he said he would get it fixed a few days ago, and, unhesitatingly, you called him out on that: "it's not gonna fix itself, matt." but he was quick to snap back. and thus, an argument over the stupid car aux had begun, and now you were ending your day in a real shitty mood.

    "oh, so now you're not gonna talk to me, great."

huffing. anger. deafening silence.

you and matt were best friends. you grew up with matt, you told each other everything. but it had just become so increasingly difficult to coexist with him lately. so what went wrong? when had it started? how had it started?

one time, you and matt were watching a movie in the living room. he ended up falling asleep with his head in your lap, and while he slept you heard him mumbling sweet nothings under his breath, and your name was thrown in there a few times. you suddenly wanted to cry. and kiss him. problem number one.

on his birthday, you gave matt the best birthday present of his entire life. it was concert tickets to his favourite artist, a hoodie he had been wanting forever, and a photo album of all your memories together. it was cheesy, but he absolutely loved it. it was so thoughtful, and now he felt like he could cry, and kiss you. problem number two.